• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Babs vs Keefe

JackBurton

You can't keep a guy who was coaching like that. It would be insane. In no market would they keep a guy in year 5 with the team looking like it was,

Altair

Most fans are 1) Pretty blind to analytics, to the point of either pure ignorance or if they do have some grasp of them, are doubtful towards their validity and 2) More susceptible to the prevailing media narratives of the moment

The creeping media narrative right now is that we've run the table on a weak schedule. I got into it with Mirtle over boiling team quality down to simple 5 on 5 full season adjusted xGF% because it suits his purpose (goaltending, shooting skill and special teams need not apply) to drive this narrative yesterday. It's fucking dumb. Even smart fans read stuff like that and adopt it as their new opinion.

So even the fans that understand the numbers enough to see the drastic change in them from Babcock to Keefe, are susceptible to easy (and often incomplete or completely inaccurate) analysis of those numbers by lazy journalists. The fans that don't understand the numbers are tuning into Overdrive and listening about how we're not tough enough, can't play defence, etc, etc. The entire hockey discourse in Toronto is poisonous and where the Athletic looked like it was going to be a breath of fresh air, it's turning into Sportsnet in a dinner jacket with a monocle.
So happy to have ignored the pressure to buy that.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
So happy to have ignored the pressure to buy that.
Leaf coverage used to be great when they were "young and improving". It's gotten stupid over the last 6 months though.

Dont know what the rest of the coverage is like other than the Raptors coverage, which is pretty great.

soco22

Leaf coverage used to be great when they were "young and improving". It's gotten stupid over the last 6 months though.

Dont know what the rest of the coverage is like other than the Raptors coverage, which is pretty great.
Prob will take another decade for new age players that played in the new world of analytics to make it into the media to replace voices like Jeff O’Neill etc

LeafOfFaith

You guys are spoiled because you don’t have to watch the US broadcasts sometimes. They are fucking terrible. Hughson’s left testicle can do a better job than any of these fucking losers. Of course Bowen’s nut cracks Hughson’s by a country mile but still, that’s probably why I’m good with Hughson and the others. Anything over these other guys.

JackBurton

Jays and Raptors can get the homer treatment being the only Canadian teams in their respective leagues and its accepted. The Leafs coverage is a joke. They can't even say anything that sounds like a compliment due to the threatening emails they get from other fans.

This in fact is from 2 months ago.

Last edited:

aniablue

You guys are spoiled because you don’t have to watch the US broadcasts sometimes. They are fucking terrible. Hughson’s left testicle can do a better job than any of these fucking losers. Of course Bowen’s nut cracks Hughson’s by a country mile but still, that’s probably why I’m good with Hughson and the others. Anything over these other guys.
[/QUO

Doc Emerich blows smoke circles around Jim Hughson.

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
if Keefe leads the Leafs to multiple 110+ point seasons and deep playoff runs, that won't be the narrative at all. It will be that ******* Mike is the new Keenan. Look at how he treated poor little Mitchy during his rookie season and for more Babcock analysis we turn to TSN's new insider, Mike Commodore.
All true but my point was that these deficiencies come to the surface when you work in Toronto. Mike was the same Mike in Detroit, Anaheim, Olympics etc but he was thought of as a god. Comes to Toronto and his weaknesses all become apparent.

Aberdeen

All true but my point was that these deficiencies come to the surface when you work in Toronto. Mike was the same Mike in Detroit, Anaheim, Olympics etc but he was thought of as a god. Comes to Toronto and his weaknesses all become apparent.
Those were easier times to be a coach. The bar was much lower. Babs might have been considered progressive then, but he refused to adapt.

uncus

Babcock is his own worst enemy ..... the egocock.

It will be hilarious to see babcock get picked up by another team and win a Stanley cup like st louis ....

Just like berube .... everyone thinks he is a fuxking genius .... he isnt.

Coaching is so over rated if a coach isnt willing to compromise and change things up.

I was a huge babcock supporter but he has thrown so many people under the bus and the funny thing is, if he had of adapted to the changing scenario of this league, he would have come damn close to winning a Stanley cup.

He didnt. ... he made his bed, now enjoy retirement, cause it isn't everything some believe.

Even if anderson got injured and the leafs fell off of a cliff, I wouldnt change a damn thing (except jettisoning barrie ceci and even muzzin if that happened).

This team is built for the next 6 years and more.

Keefe is still learning but has shown a willingness to put HIS players in a position to succeed.

Dubas has shown a strong ability to allow a player to grow and gain experience. I cant even remember a time when he threw anyone under the bus .... the young man has character and conviction .... I think he is the leafs MVP.

I was a ney voter to start with, but damn this team is fun to watch on both sides of the puck.

Defence can be taught to anyone ..... the talent level of the leafs cant be taught .... I wouldn't change a thing. (Except bringing up one or both young dmen).

This team is just like a young Washington team ..... sit back and enjoy the ride lol.

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
Those were easier times to be a coach. The bar was much lower. Babs might have been considered progressive then, but he refused to adapt.
I agree. I'm just saying that if his refusal to adapt kills his career, at worst people will blame it on Toronto, at best people will acknowledge his great shortcomings but will add that he could have still lasted somewhere else and that his issues became so magnified in Toronto that it killed a HOF career.

I just want him to land a job ASAP. If he fails to adapt and his career ends then we can't be blamed for it.

zeke

I've used up all my emails already and a couple new ones. Pretty easy for them to tell it's me when a brand new account starts posting stats like I do. Might be harder for them to tell and easier for me to fake a new personality using an older account.

Anyways I feel an urge to correct some babs vs Keefe narratives that are persisting over there but I'm banned until February.

JackBurton

I've used up all my emails already and a couple new ones. Pretty easy for them to tell it's me when a brand new account starts posting stats like I do. Might be harder for them to tell and easier for me to fake a new personality using an older account.

Anyways I feel an urge to correct some babs vs Keefe narratives that are persisting over there but I'm banned until February.
Oh yes banned for posting statistics and actual facts. LOL.

LeafGm

Heh, well, I know arguing with the idiots at HF is your guilty pleasure in the same way that consuming mainstream media or listening to sports radio is for some of the rest of us around here.

But maybe just take the vacation away from there and find out whether or not you even miss arguing with those thin-skinned morons?

zeke

Oh I've been on a forced vacation for most of the last year but now I just really want to get into some sweet sweet post-babs stats strutting.

LeafGm

I'm guessing that the prevailing wisdom over there was that we needed to keep Babs and start firing core pieces out of a cannon?