• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

BTW ... here's a deep dive on the UFA goalie class for anyone who needs to add some depression to their mix. Suffice to say that there's not a lot on the free market when it comes to goalies. Brossoit and Stolarz are 1 and 2 ... with a bullet? Ned ranks last, purely for his amazingly dependable unreliability.

BTW ... here's a deep dive on the UFA goalie class for anyone who needs to add some depression to their mix. Suffice to say that there's not a lot on the free market when it comes to goalies. Brossoit and Stolarz are 1 and 2 ... with a bullet? Ned ranks last, purely for his amazingly dependable unreliability.

Pretty much confirming that the only way we're upgrading from Freddie is through a good ol' hockey trade.

Pretty much confirming that the only way we're upgrading from Freddie is through a good ol' hockey trade.
And for the record, there seem to be a fair few goalies who could potentially be on the move this summer ... starting but not ending with Ullmark.

He's only an upgrade on the lack of injury front.....imo.
His playoff record is not encouraging. Otherwise, he's been well above the "good" line for four seasons running. And to be fair to the guy, he only really spit the bit once in the last three playoff runs. The other two times he was Plan B and didn't get much of a shake. Like a lot of guys, you have to do your homework and project how he'd do behind your specific system.

I know how this goes with goalies. EVERY goalie who isn't the very tippy top best is going to be labeled inadequate by somebody. And newsflash everybody ... Carolina will not be trading for Shesterkin, barring the entire NYR front office suffering debilitating strokes on a single day. Saros? Shaky last season. Hellebuyck? Bad playoffs this year. Markstrom? Bad in 22-23, never really been on a proper contender, kind of old. And so on and so forth. And yet all three of those guys would an upgrade over Freddie (all things considered) to one degree or another, as would Ullmark.

Words cannot express how much I hate talking about goalies.

I didn’t say he was in adequate. I said he wasn’t an upgrade other than being healthier. Anderson has been pretty good himself when he’s healthy.

New Jersey is at the front of the goalie line and my money says they get Markstrom or Ullmark. After that, Saros and Gibson are said to be available for the right trade and the UFA crowd of Samsonov, Stolarz, Broissoit, Ned and Kahkonen round out the position.

Last edited:
New Jersey is at the front of the goalie line and my money says they get Markstrom or Ullmark. After that, Saros and Gibson are said to be available for the right trade and the UFA crowd of Samsonov, Stolarz, Broissoit, Ned and Kahkonen round out the position.
Why are they "at the front of the line?" There's no line. You get who you get because you put together the right deal. What exactly is NJ supposedly offering anyway? You never know for sure, but I'd say anything NJ puts out there is going to be more futures-centric which narrows their field a great deal. Even if they're dumb enough to ship out Nemec in a package, it's only going to get you on the phone with a team looking to rebuild. So, Markstrom and Gibson maybe. Then again, that front office projects desperate so ... who knows. They could do something truly stupid. No way they ship out their 1st rounder AND an established NHLer though. The whole point of blowing up your draft (they have no 2nd rounder) would be to make sure you compete right now.

Last edited:
I think the team might as well stick with Kochetkov as starter and have Andersen as backup. Trading for a good starter is going to cost more than I would be willing to give up it feels like.

I think the team might as well stick with Kochetkov as starter and have Andersen as backup. Trading for a good starter is going to cost more than I would be willing to give up it feels like.
I agree, ride Koochie like a rented mule and when he flounders do the same to Freddie and repeat as needed.

It's definitely a way to go. They have proven to be an effective platoon and Martin is about all you could want for a third option. That said, the issue of winning anything in the post season goes unaddressed ... again. I'm not sure anybody involved wants to give Andersen another crack at the post season and I really doubt anybody trusts Kochetkov to grow out of his roller coaster tendencies. To me that's the kind of thing you talk yourself into in the off season and then regret next April.

Why are they "at the front of the line?" There's no line. You get who you get because you put together the right deal. What exactly is NJ supposedly offering anyway? You never know for sure, but I'd say anything NJ puts out there is going to be more futures-centric which narrows their field a great deal. Even if they're dumb enough to ship out Nemec in a package, it's only going to get you on the phone with a team looking to rebuild. So, Markstrom and Gibson maybe. Then again, that front office projects desperate so ... who knows. They could do something truly stupid. No way they ship out their 1st rounder AND an established NHLer though. The whole point of blowing up your draft (they have no 2nd rounder) would be to make sure you compete right now.
Front of the line because they have needed one for over a year…and when you have a great team with lots of young guys playing on somewhat affordable contracts you need a number one in net. One of Ullmark, Markstrom or Saros will end up there in the swamp, the price might be high but there willing to pay it.

Last edited:
Front of the line because they have needed one for over a year…and when you have a great team with lots of young guys playing on somewhat affordable contracts you need a number one in net. One of Ullmark, Markstrom or Saros will end up there in the swamp, the price might be high but there willing to pay it.
I’m lost on this. It just makes no sense to me.

I’m lost on this. It just makes no sense to me.
Agreed. There's no pre-set priority based on anything other than fit, contract and trade return. NJ will probably get a goalie, and because they've telegraphed their intention to do so an have an organizational/historical habit of over-paying I'd say it's all but a given. But the idea that they're first in line because they've been waiting longer or something ... nah. If some other team that's as good a fit offers the right trade value and the right contract extension (if applicable) then Ullmark or those other guys are obviously in play for that team as well.

Didn't the pundits have Necas traded by this past Saturday? And Guentzel and all of our UFA's rights dealt for whatever picks we could get (because are too cheap to retain ANY of our UFAs?)

Didn't the pundits have Necas traded by this past Saturday? And Guentzel and all of our UFA's rights dealt for whatever picks we could get (because are too cheap to retain ANY of our UFAs?)
Well, ONE guy said something about Necas being moved "as soon as Game 1" of the Finals. And I did see several people online speculating that Carolina was trading the rights to Guentzel. Honestly, if there's a market for Guentzel's rights and he's telling you he's 100% going to at least listen to other offers then why the heck not? That won't be a poverty move so much as a classic Dundon get some sucker to give you something for nothing move.

I definitely would have been surprised if the Canes and Slavin couldn't work out an extension. I will be interested to see the number. I was really surprised when Svech signed an extension for under $8 million per. Unless Slavin is effectively uninterested in getting paid his market value, his AAV is definitely, at a minimum, starting with an $8. In the open market he would get $9+ million.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a few of the no brainer type signings done sooner than later…get Jarvis wrapped up and done now, surely there is a mutual number to agree on for Chatfield to get him back in the fold. Drury back on a two or three year deal makes sense too.

Back