• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ex-Canes Thread?

not that it matters but Burke left the Canes the year before Francis signed. Dineen and Francis played together the 2nd season in Greensboro before Dineen went to Ottawa

Are the Euro Leagues dormant during this time? I could see getting Canadian players from these leagues. Why doesn't the USA field a team?

Heard in an interview with Francis yesterday that the Swiss league is the only one that shuts down for the Spengler Cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article in The Hockey Writers said that the Canes tried to move Skinner all summer and got little interest. Feeling among GMs was that Skinner’s production was too inconsistent and that he was too injury prone. It’s hard for me to believe that a 2d rounder and Pu was all that he was worth, but that seems to be the case. Seems like poor salesmanship on our part. Unfortunately, given Buffalo’s performance, that 2d rounder is probably going to be in the 50s instead of the 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Flames are playing Derek Ryan on their 2nd line with Backlund injured. He is centering Tkachuk and Bennett.

Elias Lindholm is 1 goal away from tying his season high of 17. He has played 31 games and has 16 goals and 18 assists. He leads Calgary forwards in TOI per game (a healthy 20:19, good for 23rd in the league). He is +14. Note that his shooting % is 19.3

Jeff Skinner potted his 3rd OT game winner of the season on Tuesday night for Buffalo. 21 goals in 31 games (a 55 goal pace) and +18. That +18 is good for 3rd in the league (first in the Eastern Conference). His shooting% is 23.1%

We hear all of this whining about puck luck with the Canes. And yeah, Lindholm and Skinner's shot% are likely not going to sit where they are now all year, but the bottom line is that if you have GREAT players, you are more likely going to be put in better positions to score. The Canes top skilled players like Skinner and Lindhom were fully capable, but we lack ELITE skilled players. Aho is close. Svech might be ELITE at some point. But those guys are not Eichel elite. Or Gaudreau/Monahan elite.

Its laughable to see Dundon saying we are looking for a sniper when that is exactly what we traded away for Poo. Hey Dundon...if you have a sniper you sure as heck better think about keeping him. Snipers are not going to do us much good anyway, we have no elite #1 center to get any of them the puck. And apparently none of our coaches, be it Peters or now Brindy, would know the first thing about what to do with a sniper. You know, like let him go out there and try to score goals and not bury the guy on the 3rd line with stiffs because he isn't a passionate back checker and not refuse to put the guy out there in OT because you are afraid he will lose the game (that worked oh so well Bill Peters!)

Bad news Tom D., Dougie Hamilton or Justin Faulk is not going to get you a money in the bank 30 goal guy. You are going to need to go out there and buy one. Here is an idea for you if you really really really can't stand watching this team suck at scoring and are absolutely all in on getting a big time goal scorer here. Offer sheet Patrick Laine, 7 years $105 million on July 1, 2019. Why bother trying to draft a superstar sniper....give up the 4 first round picks and buy us the best young sniper that is out there. If the Jets somehow match that, then go out and try to poach another sniper. You want big time goal scorers? Time to pony up big time bucks! Lots of teams have cap troubles, we don't. Go out and leverage that to get us an elite superstar.

Last edited:
Hudson Elynuik has 12 points in 13 games... for the ECHL Newfoundland Growlers. Guess that Marlies PTO didn't work out the way he thought it would.

Crawford goes out with a concussion after hitting the goal post with his head and Cam promptly gives up 5 unanswered goals. Yikes.

But, we are saving tons of dough.

says the CEO of the Bill Peters fan club

also of note: The NHL’s longest tenured coaches are Jon Cooper (2013), Paul Maurice (2014) and Peter Laviolette (2014).

and there are now 8 coaches who have less tenure with their current team than BrindAmour

but why are the Jets and Predators such good teams? Maybe coaching plays a role in that? you can look around at teams in various sports with loads of talent who don't win much.

Or do Peter and Paul sit in the locker room during the games and the players play without them ?

sometimes coaches don't do well for a short time and the owner is impatient and fires the coach too quickly. Ask Cleveland Browns fans about that. They might be able to give you a name of a guy.

but why are the Jets and Predators such good teams? Maybe coaching plays a role in that? you can look around at teams in various sports with loads of talent who don't win much.

Or do Peter and Paul sit in the locker room during the games and the players play without them ?

sometimes coaches don't do well for a short time and the owner is impatient and fires the coach too quickly. Ask Cleveland Browns fans about that. They might be able to give you a name of a guy.

You give Brindy a chance to switch rosters with either the Preds or Jets and see how long it takes him to scream YES. Jebus.

Of course bloody coaching has something to do with it, but good players and a well balanced roster is absolutely fundamental in winning in the NHL. God help us, but this shouldn't require this much explanation at this point.

NHL +/- Leaders as of 12/19:

1) John Carlson +21
Jeff Skinner +21
Elias Lindholm +21

Skinner and Lindholm both have 37 points in 35 games.

Meanwhile the Canes have made clear to the league that we are looking for forwards who can score....

Lindy is already at or above his career high in goals scored. Let that soak in for a minute. Of course, he's playing wing on a line with two really good players ... guys with big motors. So he doesn't have to set the pace for his line and he's not driving the playmaking either. Which is two things that the Canes asked him to do for the last two seasons he played in Carolina. Again, I think he was waiting to explode, but needed the right conditions. Pretty sure we just didn't have them on offer here, because if he was still in Raleigh, we'd still be asking him to play center and drive a line himself.

Skinner? Yeah. No shock there. He was always going to blow up once he got out of here.

NHL +/- Leaders as of 12/19:

1) John Carlson +21
Jeff Skinner +21
Elias Lindholm +21

Skinner and Lindholm both have 37 points in 35 games.

Meanwhile the Canes have made clear to the league that we are looking for forwards who can score....

The optics on the players shipped out have never looked worse from a Canes perspective, couple that with Ferland being concussed and talking about long term health concerns and Dougie Hamilton being a dumpster fire so far and you are left with Pu on your face and a Fox in the hen house that you cannot seem to catch...

FWIW, ex-Canes Zach Boychuk and Zac Dalpe are both on the Canadian roster for the Spengler Cup in Davos. And on the same line, apparently. Boychuk is playing out the professional string for SC Bern this year, following two seasons in Russia. Dalpe is a AHLer in the deeper parts of the Blue Jackets organizational depth chart. Probably not a good sign for his career that the BJs loaned him out for the Spengler in the last year of his 2-way contract.

Dalpe played 1 game for the Jackets this year, on 11/15. He had an assist in 9:01 of ice time. It seems to me that he was recalled when they were here but did not dress.

It may have been posted before, but The Athletic had an article about Boychuk and his Twitter exploits. When I joint Twitter, I heard he was a great follow and he immediately followed me back. Turns out, there is a reason for that, it’s not actually him, it’s an app that automated the follows. When I saw that he wasn’t following me anymore, I tweeted it and immediately was followed again.

https://theathletic.com/613109/2018...tter-too-theres-actually-a-story-behind-that/

Back