• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

So the top-5 from this century are:

1. Robertson (18): 1.077
2. Tavares (16): 1.075
3. P.Kane (18): 1.069
4. Tavares (18): 1.036
5. Debrincat (19): 1.032

and Robbie is a very young 18, at that.

We needed to start having some guys outperform their draft slots. I'd say it looks like both Sandin and Robertson are good candidates.

I wouldn't say that Dermott has out-performed his draft slot. He was picked 34th overall, so he was just shy of being a first round pick. And though I like him, thus far he's yet to prove that he's more than a very good bottom-pairing defenseman. With Rielly out, he's got his big opportunity now.

Ditto for Timashov. I mean, I guess making it to the NHL at all as a 5th round pick is surpassing expectations, but it's obvious he's little more than a depth player/borderline 4th line forward.

Johnsson & Engvall on the other hand? A couple more home-runs courtesy of Thommie Bergman.

5th Rnd Developed* - 1st Rnd Drafted - 1st Rnd Drafted
7th Rnd Drafted
- 1st Rnd Signed - 1st Rnd Drafted
7th Rnd Drafted
- 5th Rnd Traded - 1st Rnd Developed*
Undrafted Signed - 1st Rnd Drafted
- 1st Rnd Signed
(Undrafted Signed - 4th Rnd Drafted - 5th Rnd Drafted)

1st Rnd Drafted
- 3rd Rnd Traded
5th Rnd Traded - 2nd Rnd Developed*
2nd Rnd Drafted
- 1st Rnd Traded
2nd Rnd Traded
(1st Rnd Drafted - 1st Rnd Drafted)

3rd Rnd Traded
3rd Rnd Signed

I wouldn't say that Dermott has out-performed his draft slot. He was picked 34th overall, so he was just shy of being a first round pick. And though I like him, thus far he's yet to prove that he's more than a very good bottom-pairing defenseman. With Rielly out, he's got his big opportunity now.

Ditto for Timashov. I mean, I guess making it to the NHL at all as a 5th round pick is surpassing expectations, but it's obvious he's little more than a depth player/borderline 4th line forward.

Johnsson & Engvall on the other hand? A couple more home-runs courtesy of Thommie Bergman.

I think I have a higher opinion on Dermott than most. I think he’s pretty high end on the potential and has been better than a bottom pair guy for us. He’s still so young, so there’s so much room to grow. I think he’s second pair quality right now, and thus a first round quality pick.

Travis Dermott, is the next Tim Horton. He is a weird guy, so was Horton.

Both are small guys who can kill you with one hand.

Guy is a big time keeper, so was Horton.

Dermott can skate, he can do a lot. GIve him a year, maybe two, and no one will ever talk about his weaknesse ever again

He was a good pick, let him go and grow... I think the kid is terrific...

Horton .... dermott?

2 entirely different players.

Horton was rated one of the top 100 players of all time ....

Dermott will never be.

Btw ... mogilny, best skating leaf ever?

Guess keon, gartner, grabner and courtnall and the likes didnt figure.
Even today, kappy would have to be rated up there.

I think I have a higher opinion on Dermott than most. I think he’s pretty high end on the potential and has been better than a bottom pair guy for us. He’s still so young, so there’s so much room to grow. I think he’s second pair quality right now, and thus a first round quality pick.

Hey, I like Dermott too. But I wasn't speaking on his potential, just on what he's actually proven at the NHL level so far in his career.

But this is his big opportunity to play steady top-4 minutes coming up with Rielly out. And if he eventually proves that he can handle and excel in that role, then yeah, he'll definitely have out-performed his draft position.

BeLeafer is one of the top three brains in a dish on this board,, ask him about Mogilny's skating ability. Russ Courtnall was North South only. `Its why my best friend growing up traded him for a bag of steroids.

Keon, yes, my bad, was right up there with Mogilny, and with horrible skate technology. So he might get the nod as best Leaf skater of all time.

Dermott is going to get Tim Horton comparison, as long as his shoulders hold up, wait for it.

Tim Horton didn't get going till he was 30 for pete's sake.

I like you uncus but at least do a hockeydb before countering what I say.

Marlies are down 1-0 in the first.

They are 10-12-1 plus 1 forfeit since the coaching change. Of course, they're now without Lil and Sandin.

Jeebus. Kid's up to a 91-goal, 138-point pace.

Aside from Mitch's absurd post-draft season in the OHL (59-goal, 181-point pace), I'm pretty sure this is the best draft+1 season we've seen out of anyone we've drafted out of the CHL since Nazem Kadri.

And even the 145-point pace Kadri put up in his draft+1 season was done as a 19 year-old, and Robertson doesn't turn 19 until this coming September. If you compare their 18 year-old seasons, Kadri scored at a 40-goal, 116-point pace.

And even Mitch included, in living memory we've never had a CHL prospect score goals at this rate.

Back