• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Mindz might be Dubas btw...

If anyone here watched that game between Russia and Canada today. They should have been struck with one main thought. Holy Shit, the level of play, now, in the world is nuts.

Any one of those guys from our Canadian team could play on our fourth line or maybe even our third... And not look out of place.

Cody Ceci worth anything? Lol. If Dubas pulls that off, I am more than amazed... Justin Holl makes him look so bad, and it must be weird in the dressing room with Ceci, when everyone in the dressing room knows he is the most overpaid shit, in the room.

Everyone else is earning their stub. Not Ceci...

All of our guys look very, very, very good under Keefe. But not Ceci. I don't know why this guy is not buried in the ECHL. I think he is a terrible Leaf.

Dubas must be pokering this goof as best as he can. But I think the guy is awful.

I’m still pretty shocked we won. I don’t know why, but I didn’t get the feeling too many of the Canadian kids will be impact NHLers. Both Russia and Sweden looked more talented to me, even the US.

Damn that's scary. 39 years old. Hopefully he's OK.

And in a somewhat classless move, the AHL announced that the game actually isn't cancelled.

It'll be recorded as a Marlie forfeit and 1-0 Texas victory.

Nick Robertson scores 2 tonight vs the Gens. The Petes added Akil Thomas and he had 4 points.

Liljegren and Sandin each had a point for the Marlies in their win.

Robertson 26gp 28g 43pts
Liljegren 33gp 4g 24pts
Sandin 21gp 2g 15pts

Timmy is on another level this year. You can see the confidence level in his game has gone through the roof with the way he jumps into the play. Zero fear with taking it and going himself but allowing himself enough time to recover into his position

I like the idea of a good backup behind Freddy, but I think if we acquire another starter to potentially cloud the crease situation, we’ll be toast. Freddy will break and the new guy won’t do well in that environment.

It’s the same thing that almost happened with Reimer that first year against Boston when they were supposedly thinking of bringing Nabokov in at the deadline. And when they brought that loser Bernier in. Yes, I know the counter, that if that breaks your goalie, then he’s not worth shit, but I don’t subscribe to that.

Go for a good backup and ride with your starter. Any situation that sees them replace Freddy with someone has to also see Freddy exit at the same time. And I don’t see any chance of Dubas making a move to bring in a 1B this year. Backup for sure is coming though.

If we ride with Freddy, we lose. It's as simple as that. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the guy who fucking murdered us in every big game we've played in over the last few seasons is single handedly taking the air out of the team when it finally has gotten it's shit fully together.

Last edited:
Why would it break him? When Freddy shared the net with Gibson they were the best tandem in the league.

It didn't break Rask. Only made him better.

Yep, jury is in on Fred and you cannot lean on this guy to get you through the playoffs. Potion for another predictable failure.

Ceci + Bracco (and whatever other secondary asset it might take) for Lehner.

Bring Liljegren up. If he can't handle it, switch Derms or Marincin over.

Id much rather a 10 mil tandem than a 10 mil starter

And Lehner beats out Fred to start the playoffs.

60pt pace for Lilly, 59pt pace for Sandin.

And that's with them splitting the PP minutes.

I remember on the Habs board GGpX and a few others dismissing Liljegren as a nothing prospect. He probably still would because stats are mostly ignored completely on that board in favour of "I watched them and they're no good" type arguments.

When Freddy shared the net with Gibson, he wasn't a starter with his own team. He graduated from that role since then, so putting him back into it would likely be disastrous. Just look at how he reacted to getting pulled in the Edmonton game. This is a guy who wants to play 60+ games a year and know that even if he has an off night, he'll be back in the net the next game.

When Reimer shared the net with Luongo, Reimer was getting a lifejacket thrown to him. He was slowly washing out of the league. The fact that Luongo had no problem sharing the net with Reimer is the bigger issue, but Luongo was always clearly the top dog over there when healthy.

I find this goalie issue similar to the "[insert superstar name] never wins" issue. It's hard to win. You're going to get swept out in the first round sometimes (cough TB cough). You're going to go years without winning anything sometimes. That's just the nature of the league. Look at SJ, with surely a few times over the last two decades they deserved to win one and still came up empty. Andersen has been really really really close to getting us past one of the truly best teams in the league. We have all sorts of other factors like inexperience, and poor coaching, and so on that add wrinkles to the evaluation. We've all watched him long enough to know that he has stinkers, maybe stretches a little longer than most others, but when he's on, he's legit magnificent.

I think you gotta go with him to the end. Matty was invisible against Boston two years ago, Marner wasn't so effective last year. These guys are all putting it together, and Andersen no different than the rest. By all means, we absolutely must get a great backup who can step in and give us starter quality goaltending sometimes, but the net has to belong to Freddy. And if we're first round fodder again this year, against again a really good team we shouldn't be playing in the first round, then maybe we replace him in the offseason, especially since it may be his last year anyway.

Back