• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Habsy was right all along... I'm too young!

But seriously, I never had much faith in people but they somehow didn't come close to meeting my already extremely low expectations. Kind of depressing in many ways.
i have kinda gone the opposite way

sure i see dumb shit on twitter but outside of a few people i am actually shocked at how good people are

the rest are just brainwashed....

i have kinda gone the opposite way

sure i see dumb shit on twitter but outside of a few people i am actually shocked at how good people are

the rest are just brainwashed....
I gotta say I am confused as to how you can both live in Alberta and come to this conclusion.

Wasn't Alberta's pathetic failed initial strategy premised around "personal responsibility"?

Ironically, the people in my province have been I suspect among the most compliant and accepting of covid-related restrictions, yet my faith in humanity has been irreversibly weakened I fear

It's almost like a mask filters out large particular pollutants in everyday air that may exacerbate asthma symptoms or something.
This is the first winter I can remember that I haven't been hit with a killer cold, and no flu either.
I actually told my wife just last night that I would consider wearing a mask in winter forever now if I knew I wouldn't get a cold ever again lol.

This is the first winter I can remember that I haven't been hit with a killer cold, and no flu either.
I actually told my wife just last night that I would consider wearing a mask in winter forever now if I knew I wouldn't get a cold ever again lol.

Yep, ditto. Haven't had a cold since 2019 and my workplace is a cesspool for germs, we usually just pass around colds and flus to each other all year long (shared workspaces/computers/keysboards/phones/one large room).

I gotta say I am confused as to how you can both live in Alberta and come to this conclusion.

Wasn't Alberta's pathetic failed initial strategy premised around "personal responsibility"?

Ironically, the people in my province have been I suspect among the most compliant and accepting of covid-related restrictions, yet my faith in humanity has been irreversibly weakened I fear

I had no faith in humanity before this, so I won't say it's really dropped due to the pandemic. But it's confirmed that there's a group of being who are good humans, who will follow the rules (and even go beyond the rules when the government are being idiots). And another, much larger group, who will do less than the minimum and are horrible people overall.

Like, I'm now living near downtown Calgary. There's a strong portion of people who are wearing masks outside all the time. One of the coffee shops I go to uses tongs to hand you the lid for your drink, and other places are super diligent at wiping down the machine between customers. But then on the flipside, there's people who don't care one bit about wearing a mask in the elevators in the condo building, we're a few days into reopening and people are already back to hanging out in the coffee shops, I'm guessing restaurants are back to being packed, etc... It's like, ugh, I know it's not for everyone, but I'm just counting the days until the government is absolutely shocked that the numbers are back on the rise.

i live in REDmonton

alberta initial strategy was amazing actually - they were the ones helping out the rest of the country with PPE etc
Kenney was talking about how we need to copy south korea and such - but since then all shit

the provincial leaders are shit, but the City leaders have been great
i was talking more about the people i actually know - pro mask, pro human, pro science, etc

fascinating piece on this 26-year-old data scientist who developed the most accurate Covid death predictor...way better than organizations with hundreds of millions of funding.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-make-most-accurate-prediction?sref=htOHjx5Y

In mid-April, while he was living with his parents in Santa Clara, Calif., Gu spent a week building his own Covid death predictor and a website to display the morbid information. Before long, his model started producing more accurate results than those cooked up by institutions with hundreds of millions of dollars in funding and decades of experience.

“His model was the only one that seemed sane,” says Jeremy Howard, a renowned data expert and research scientist at the University of San Francisco. “The other models were shown to be nonsense time and again, and yet there was no introspection from the people publishing the forecasts or the journalists reporting on them. Peoples’ lives were depending on these things, and Youyang was the one person actually looking at the data and doing it properly.”

also from Marginal Revolution

Canada and Novavax

by Alex Tabarrok February 17, 2021 at 7:25 am in
Canada has made some smart moves with the Novavax vaccine. First, they initiated a rolling review of the Novavax vaccine in late January which suggests that they might authorize the vaccine based on the British trial before the US trial is concluded. The FDA will probably wait until the US trial is concluded. Second, Canada also signed a production agreement to bring some capacity online in Canada, although that will take time. That agreement, however, is on top of an advance purchase of 52 million doses with an option on another 24 million doses.
In short, if they act quickly, Canada could approve the Novavax vaccine before the United States and get a jump on its own vaccination efforts.

In short, if they act quickly, Canada could approve the Novavax vaccine before the United States and get a jump on its own vaccination efforts.

rorschach-do-it-gif.gif

Back