• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

Deep breath. They were outplayed by a clearly superior team (which, unlike Belgium, has a new generation on the way.) Losing Eustaquio was devastating.

Anyway, still have a bunch of young guys with lots of promise up front. Kone needs to move to Europe. Jumping in the cue in the world’s biggest sport just doesn’t happen.

We need a whole new D. We need those academies to produce and get them into the MLS in the next couple of years. Not sure what pipeline looks like.
I really only saw this Cup as a learning experience for 2026 but still sucks to get punked.

Yeah I may have rounded way up from your 8 years but also mindful that the hurdles are way higher — more countries to compete with in soccer and more word class players required to have even a mildly competitive team. Any weak link on that giant pitch will certainly be exploited.

oh, I don't ever expect to see us as a top nation like I expect to see on the basketball court, so yeah, way higher hurdles as you said.

But right now the gap between us and a 10-15 nation like Croatia is pretty huge. I'm talking about what we need to see to move into the top 20, have a realistic expectation of making every world cup, and having the knockout rounds be our realistic goal every tournament.

Reactions: CH1
That was heartbreaking today but I'm happy we will leave this world Cup with at least one moment of absolute jubilation. I literally can't remember how I picked up my son and ran around the house with him hanging on and laughing.

Well worth it. Now let's focus on building a group winner "own the podium" style for 2026.

Back