• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

"If Thanksgiving turkey was actually good, we would eat it more than once per year." — Gordon Wallace

I am preparing my Thanksgiving meal and here is what I have so far:

yE7GFLB.png

You might wonder if there are enough nuggets for everyone, but that is another thing: I don't need thousands of people in my house all hyped up and trying to shout over each other. Starting this year, I am implementing a 5 guest limit, so 64 nuggets will be plenty. Please note that is a 5 guest MAXIMUM so it is quite possible that the actual attendance will be lower. In any case, I firmly believe that everyone will be satisfied with this selection. I skipped the sides like waffle fries or chips because they are high margin items and aren't necessary to fill your macros.

Last edited:
So I recently revamped my coffee setup and went from a manual labour pour over Stan to an automatic convenience Stan overnight. This product is quite literally life changing and I don't know how I ever lived without it. Whenever this thing dies on me I'm fucked because I'm not about to spend over 3 grand to replace it. But I probably will because it's THAT good. Fuck.

Disclaimer: I did not spend 3 grand on this product. Once in awhile Kijiji (not marketplace) gives you steals. Old rich people (and I mean like really really fucking "I own property all over the world" rich, not just "rich") are great to buy from.

Shut the fuck up. You are literally just drinking brown liquid. It doesn't even taste good. If you are spending thousands of dollars to enhance it, then you just might have a caffeine addiction. At that point you are better off with cocaine or meth, not that I have any experience with either.

So I have no immediate plans to move on from my decent mid range chef's knife. If I did come into some money, I would look at a somewhat local knife maker to have a custom chef's knife done. This guy does some wild damascus work.

Some great looking stuff. I'm not going to be in a 'drop 8 bills on a knife,' position any time soon though.

But one can dream.

Speaking of food, I've been fucking with flank steaks lately. Latest one, went into a local butcher to see if they had any. They didn't, but cut one fresh for me. Had some old wine in the fridge so tried it as a marinade. Results were impressive.

20221122_170628.jpg

Next up I think I'm going to try a skirt steak. They also had a cut I've never heard of before that looked good. Called a Denver cut? Looked like a strip size, but with marbeling similar to a wagyu.

Denver cut works well as long as you cut vs the grain. Like Flat Iron (which is my fave of the less pricey cuts)

One newer cut I’ve seen is the Spider steak. Don’t see it very often as it’s a decently fatty but small piece cut around the hip (so only 2 per cow). Manage to find it every six months — good stuff.

Shut the fuck up. You are literally just drinking brown liquid. It doesn't even taste good. If you are spending thousands of dollars to enhance it, then you just might have a caffeine addiction. At that point you are better off with cocaine or meth, not that I have any experience with either.
presto really taking this next level. he's now my 1st and 2nd fav poster.

spider-man.gif

raw

Speaking of food, I've been fucking with flank steaks lately. Latest one, went into a local butcher to see if they had any. They didn't, but cut one fresh for me. Had some old wine in the fridge so tried it as a marinade. Results were impressive.

View attachment 14235

Next up I think I'm going to try a skirt steak. They also had a cut I've never heard of before that looked good. Called a Denver cut? Looked like a strip size, but with marbeling similar to a wagyu.

Beauty stuff. If you're going with the skirt, I highly suggest a marinade and chimichurri. Haven't done a Denver steak yet, though I 2nd the flat iron suggestion. They're fantastic.

What's your fav marinade?
oh man I am fickle. and to be honest fucking rusty as we are now mostly vegetarians and Mrs. Wayward rarely eats any meat. I get cravings and try to also cook seasonally based on what is available.

I will say one thing I like to use that seems to be often overlooked is just plain yogourt. that, along with papaya and pineapple are among the few marinades I know of that will actually tenderize. I forget exactly how it works but believe there is a scientific explanation :p

I also fucking love briskets. A classic family recipe that I still use is to basically marinade the brisket in coke, ketchup (equal parts) and onion soup mix (one package). Then cook slow and low for a while. The meat falls apart in your mouth.

now that I am working more reasonable hours really do need to try to start cooking more again...

I suspect Mrs. Wayward is going to request a holiday duck, so that can be a good start. She objected to my chickens the last time I cooked them quite literally because the meat was too moist!!! Pretty sure all I did was rinse the birds and then rub an olive oil, salt, garlic mix all over, with some lemons and maybe butter thrown in a random cavity here or there...

You should just do a good basting in a pan if you're only really cooking for yourself. Basting with the right ingredients is really good too.

Back