• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations and Travel Thread

So, anyone here been to Croatia or Romania? Any suggestions on things to see? I'm headed to Europe on Monday and those are two places I'm going.

Wow, as a big proponent of traveling, I haven't posted about it in a long time.

Since October 2015, I've been to Belgium, Luxembourg, Romania, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Venice, Slovenia, Croatia, Japan, Africa (three week safari - South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe), Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Philippines, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Ireland and I drove from Nova Scotia to Alaska (with stops in Yellowknife and Whitehorse, among others) then south to Washington State and back to Nova Scotia.

In two months, I'll be going to South America (Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina and Brazil).

Anyone else have any vacation plans on the horizon?

I haven't ever taken a vacation of any sort, but I might be going to England this Summer or early Fall. If not this year, definitely next year.

Alternative plan is, if my friend can make it back to North America, we'll roadtrip to Yellowstone and back.

I haven't ever taken a vacation of any sort, but I might be going to England this Summer or early Fall. If not this year, definitely next year.

Alternative plan is, if my friend can make it back to North America, we'll roadtrip to Yellowstone and back.

England is nice, but I found Stonehenge a little underwhelming.

This year, we aren't doing Europe but likely central Canada, and Disney.

Does anybody even go into this ?

Heading to Montreal for a week around the august long weekend

First up - where to stay?

Stupid expensive for hotels. So looking at air bnb type stuff. Is McGill a decent location? (I assume most of the air bnbs are normally student places outside of the summer.

Next up - where to eat?

What else to do?

Does anybody even go into this ?

Heading to Montreal for a week around the august long weekend

First up - where to stay?

Stupid expensive for hotels. So looking at air bnb type stuff. Is McGill a decent location? (I assume most of the air bnbs are normally student places outside of the summer.

Next up - where to eat?

What else to do?

Where to stay, Air BnB is probably your best bet.

McGill is in the heart of downtown, so that's a nice place.

Where to eat, ohoho... Too many to name. What's your fancy?

My two favorite spots in Montreal are Joe Beef and Tuck Shop. If you want to go to Joe Beef, reserve now. You need to reserve waaaaaay ahead of time. Tuck Shop, you can reserve 10 or so days ahead of time.

Steak: Moishes is the best place, although it's expensive. Tuck Shop has very underrated steak.

Seafood: Milos or Le Bremner.

Sushi: Park

If you want to dive-in a little bit more, this is always a useful guide: https://cultmtl.com/2019/05/best-of-mtl-2019-food-drink/

Another useful guide: https://montreal.eater.com/2017/4/1...rist-food-and-dining-guide-where-to-eat-drink

My two favorite spots in Montreal are Joe Beef and Tuck Shop. If you want to go to Joe Beef, reserve now. You need to reserve waaaaaay ahead of time. Tuck Shop, you can reserve 10 or so days ahead of time.

Steak: Moishes is the best place, although it's expensive. Tuck Shop has very underrated steak.

Seafood: Milos or Le Bremner.

Sushi: Park

If you want to dive-in a little bit more, this is always a useful guide: https://cultmtl.com/2019/05/best-of-mtl-2019-food-drink/

Another useful guide: https://montreal.eater.com/2017/4/1...rist-food-and-dining-guide-where-to-eat-drink

Thanks. I will look into these places and check out the guides.

Joe Beef is booked for the first half of my trip and closed for the second half.

Never been there, but it's next to my favorite Italian place in Montreal, Da Emma.

Da Emma is great food. But the ambiance is totally different. Moretti's is happening, like if you want to go to see the best of what this city has, you go there. I am heading down there next saturday as my bro is in town from florida.

I have like three trips this summer, weird holiday schedule.

July 5-15, Toronto, Ottawa, Lake Placid and Montreal.

Then home for two days and off to Chicago for my son's hockey tournament, July 18-22.

Then as my wife has a conference in WDW August 17-24, we are sponging off her firm and staying in her room. While she learns about legal technology, Jr and I will be on all the rides.

The new ride at Universal, Hagrid's Magical Creatures, had a 10 hour wait for a 6 minute ride. That has now gone down to 3 hrs on average and they aren't accepting express pass. I was going to stop there on my way back down from PA but when we saw that I said eff it.

The new ride at Universal, Hagrid's Magical Creatures, had a 10 hour wait for a 6 minute ride. That has now gone down to 3 hrs on average and they aren't accepting express pass. I was going to stop there on my way back down from PA but when we saw that I said eff it.

I want to head to FL end of DEC but I think it's going to be a zoo in south florida, but my son is in K now so we have to follow a school schedule. How crazy is cheesecake factory around Xmas?

Back