• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Round 2 Game 5 GDT: Canes v. Lightning 6/8 6:30

I think too many people expected Aho to be one of those elite guys who can carry a team. But those players don't really exist. He needs consistent support players. And got none in the playoffs. Svech has been a huge disappointment so far. I think many, myself included, set expectations way too high for him.
That’s my thought. Those players don’t really exist. I agree with you.

T

Seattle needs to select at least the minimum cap number worth of players with their 30 picks. Johnson would be at least a 2nd line forward on Seattle's opening night roster immediately. I think they go there.
We'll see, but I think a LOT of people are making a LOT of assumptions about Seattle based on Vegas that ignore the things Seattle's brass are saying out loud. Francis is a lot of things, but cagey has never been one of them. I expect him to do pretty much what he's said he'll do. They'll be cheap and young out of the draft and he'll look to add smart veteran signings with his cap money. If they do something else, so be it ... but I think a lot of folks are expecting fireworks and fancy deals from a GM who doesn't really do fireworks and would need to be introduced to a fancy deal.

For example, I think Carolina runs a much bigger risk exposing Bean than Skjei ... because of much other than Skjei's Rangers-sized contract compared to Beans cheap upside.

Side note as we think about what just happened and what it means going forward. Heard Pierre LeBrun on NHL Network Radio. He was saying that he believed that MTL could be tougher in the playoffs (if they got there), because of the different standard of officiating. Basically, he also said having big, slow defensemen is fine for the playoffs because you can clutch, grab, interfere, etc...

What wins in regular season doesn't in the playoffs. That could apply to us as well...will be interesting the changes we make to be better suited for the different standard of reffing (and the idea of going with a different standard that penalizes elite players baffles my mind, but not my league)

Missed the whole thing for an HOA board meeting. I went home and my wife said “you didn’t miss anything ”.

BTW, not only is the salary cap going to be a problem for the Lightning going forward, The Athletic ranks their prospect pool 30th in the league. Only the Bruins' is worse. (They have the Canes at 5th). To add to that, in the first four rounds of this years draft, the Lightning have only a 3rd round pick. Next year they have a 1st rounder but no second or third. That makes only 3 picks in the first 4 rounds in the next two years. Of course, they might acquire picks to deal with their cap problem.

I think there is probably only one thing I'd like less than seeing the Canes get shutout at home and ousted from the playoffs ... go to an HOA meeting.;)
I blew off a HOA meeting for Nashville game 1. It‘s a voluntary HOA and we only have 100 houses. I posted all the financial data to our Google drive and told the President that he could text me if anything came up.

I blew off a HOA meeting for Nashville game 1. It‘s a voluntary HOA and we only have 100 houses. I posted all the financial data to our Google drive and told the President that he could text me if anything came up.
I stopped that years ago when I realized half the people owning houses in my neighborhood are batshit spoiled crazy.

More power to you man.

I stopped that years ago when I realized half the people owning houses in my neighborhood are batshit spoiled crazy.

More power to you man.
I’ve lived in my house for 29 years, this is my 4th 2 year term on the board but first in probably 10 years. At least this year, we got some new blood, the President and I have each served multiple terms, the other board members are new-ish to the neighborhood.

I’ve lived in my house for 29 years, this is my 4th 2 year term on the board but first in probably 10 years. At least this year, we got some new blood, the President and I have each served multiple terms, the other board members are new-ish to the neighborhood.
I just handed off the IT (Website, etc..) responsibilities from my HOA to someone else after owning it for 17-18 years, did a 5-year tour on the HOA Architecture Review Committee back in the day and I was asked to come back on it about 3 years ago, so still doing my bit..... but no freakin' way would I get on the HOA board. The Mrs. used to warn me as I headed off to the annual meeting not to come back if I volunteered/got elected to the board.

Missed the whole thing for an HOA board meeting. I went home and my wife said “you didn’t miss anything ”.
Well, she's right and bless you for doing the Lord's work ... being a demonstrably sane person at an HOA board meeting.

For the record, I have managed the absolute perfect HOA situation in my current house. The HOA exists, but only on paper to satisfy City requirements. I guess there exists the remote possibility that some lunatic zealot could stir up enough fake outrage over nothing to rouse enough of my neighbors to care enough to actually ... you know ... do HOA stuff, but if they did I'd immediately make plans to get the heck out. There's a plot of family land in an unincorporated chunk of Wake County that I've always considered my bailout plan, and it's maybe 10 minutes north of where I currently live.

Last edited:
My 7 year old insists that we have the yard of the year for several years running and we just put in a pool this year to really up the ante...he always asks me why the HOA cannot make some of these jungle-like, overgrown yards in the hood look better! I do not envy the neighborhood Board members doing the Lord's work to police this stuff because some of these folks can barely groom themselves let alone try and take care of a lawn, the shrubs, the exterior of their homes, etc.

I just handed off the IT (Website, etc..) responsibilities from my HOA to someone else after owning it for 17-18 years, did a 5-year tour on the HOA Architecture Review Committee back in the day and I was asked to come back on it about 3 years ago, so still doing my bit..... but no freakin' way would I get on the HOA board. The Mrs. used to warn me as I headed off to the annual meeting not to come back if I volunteered/got elected to the board.
I don’t envy folks that are on the ARBs. Tough, unappreciated role.

I forget, are we supposed to stay married this long? Is there some prize in the afterlife?

Back