• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2015 Draft Lottery McEichel sweepstakes thread

If the Canes' goal was to keep interest up in the off-season, the Strome/Hannafin/Marner/Crouse discussion fits that bill. Just think, had we picked #1 or 2, how boring would that have been?

As for defense not being sexy, my take on what I've heard from RF is that he has a leash to build a team over a few years and the corollary to that is that sexy won't matter much in the next couple of years. RF is focused on building a long-term winner. DW's job is to sell the tickets. At the end of the day, winning is sexy (except in NJ). And winning will sell tickets, lots of 'em.
 
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree with this one. I think you draft for skill. If you try and draft for size, it seems more often than not you wind up with a shitload of really tough ECHLers/AHLers.

I'm just saying it worked. Burkie built tough yet skilled depth in both Anaheim and Vancouver before a similar approach just didn't work in Toronto. Again ... I don't think approach that worked twice before was so much the problem as simply not picking the right guys.
 
Defense is never sexy, but you can't get far in this league without it. I like our chances at finally getting a cohesive, coherent defense that isn't a bunch of cast offs and overslotted AHLers. Defense by committee has gotten this franchise nowhere in years. I could really be enticed by two very decent defensive pairings and would not miss the days of Tomas Kaberle, Joe Corvo, Jay Harrison, Bruno St. Jacques, Bret Carson, Andrew Hutchison, Derek Joslin, Josef Melichar, Wade Brookbank, etc...

Defense is sexy to some people ... like me. But I know I'm a deviant freak when it comes to that.
 
Defense is sexy to some people ... like me. But I know I'm a deviant freak when it comes to that.

A great dman is so awesome to have. It doesn't get much "sexier" than a Subban or Karlsson. Problem is that people want instant gratification and dmen tend to take longer to develop. It's pretty rare for them to have an impact in the NHL at 18/19 years old. Forwards these days seem to be able to have an impact early.
 
I was in awe watching Karlsson in that OTT v MON series. Subban was too emotional-- and not in that way where he channels his frustration and anger into performance. Karlsson was steady, he was always in good position, he read plays, he was creative, he joined the rush--he was just fun to watch.
 
I'm just saying it worked. Burkie built tough yet skilled depth in both Anaheim and Vancouver before a similar approach just didn't work in Toronto. Again ... I don't think approach that worked twice before was so much the problem as simply not picking the right guys.

Burke built good teams in Anaheim and Vancouver but it it wasn't by selecting truculence/ignoring production at the draft table. The Leafs did that too often under Burke.
 
Funny... I thought Karlsson and Subban were both quite poor compared to their usual play. Karlsson seemed more concerned with throwing hits than creating goals. He also got burned really bad several times defensively.
 
A great dman is so awesome to have. It doesn't get much "sexier" than a Subban or Karlsson. Problem is that people want instant gratification and dmen tend to take longer to develop. It's pretty rare for them to have an impact in the NHL at 18/19 years old. Forwards these days seem to be able to have an impact early.

It seems more common to find these awesome defensemen later in the draft than for teams to find superstar forwards later though. That might play into it.
 
Defense is sexy to some people ... like me. But I know I'm a deviant freak when it comes to that.

Good defense begins with paying attention, and being willing to outwork everyone else. Players who fit that bill are also known as COACHABLE. So yeah. I get that.
 
Funny... I thought Karlsson and Subban were both quite poor compared to their usual play. Karlsson seemed more concerned with throwing hits than creating goals. He also got burned really bad several times defensively.

He was surprisingly more physical, but I thought in that last game he was just fun to watch.
 
Back
Top