• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The New Division

Just for kicks I reread this and laughed almost as hard when I saw gardiner equated to team Canada defenceman mark methot, and then laughed til the snot came out of my nose when I saw AHL defenceman ranger > corvo

Dumb as a sack of hammers.

1) Methot has not made team Canada yet anymore than Gardiner has made team USA. They're both invitees at this point nothing more, though Gardiner (the better defenseman) has a much better chance of making team USA than Methot does team Canada

2) Ranger was in the AHL last year because he's slowly working his way back from mental illness. 3 years ago he was the #1-2 defender for Tampa, and he's still in his physical prime. PP specialist Corvo isn't even special at that anymore. Ranger was a beast in the AHL last season and looks like he's back to form, though we won't know for sure until he's tested against NHL competition...with that said, there's no reason why he can't do it physically. He is better than Corvo, absolutely, hands down.
 
Just for kicks I reread this and laughed almost as hard when I saw gardiner equated to team Canada defenceman mark methot, and then laughed til the snot came out of my nose when I saw AHL defenceman ranger > corvo

Gardiner's got a better chance of making Team USA than Methot does of making Canada.

If it makes you feel better, though, feel free to compare Corvo to Liles, even though Corvo can no longer skate like Liles, and has nowhere near his grit.....but Ranger is a far better dman than both of them.
 
The only circumstance in which he had a chance of making it would be under the "Regehr Principle." The one defensive defender that gets more unwarranted publicity than any other in the league and becomes hopelessly overrated because of it.

Methot hasn't come close to getting that sort of hype for his defensive play and that's his only chance. Good defender as a second-pairing type guy, strong on the penalty kill and defensively, but not Team Canada quality.
 
The only circumstance in which he had a chance of making it would be under the "Regehr Principle." The one defensive defender that gets more unwarranted publicity than any other in the league and becomes hopelessly overrated because of it.

Methot hasn't come close to getting that sort of hype for his defensive play and that's his only chance. Good defender as a second-pairing type guy, strong on the penalty kill and defensively, but not Team Canada quality.

Marc Edward Vlasic is a better version of that guy
 
Amazing that nobody thinks that some of the Sens rooks will go through a sophomore slump.
 
even more amazing that everyone thinks all of toronto's good youngsters - kadri, reimer, etc. - are near locks to regress.
 
I do recall Earl hype around here way back when.

I preferred the time when I was ripped constantly for saying that Toskala was nothing but a career backup and was told he was equal to Nabokov I think it was. Didn't take long for posters here to turn on the Finnish Hardy Astrom
 
It is terrible beyond him. That doesn't mean that Methot sucks individually. Collectively it's pretty bad, especially with Gonchar's departure.
 
Jake Gardiner is now officially the most overrated Leaf in the history of this forum and with the ridiculous homers that populate this location, that is a MASSIVE accomplishment.

+1000

And not just Gardiner...Franson too. Leaf fans have no business knocking Cowen's skating with Franson suiting up for them on D.
 
Back
Top