• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the canes game day article now:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732530&navid=DL|CAR|home

Brad Malone, Jay McClement and Patrick Dwyer comprise a forward trio, perhaps a glimpse of what the team’s fourth line will be on Opening Night.

You know, this entire season might be a total disaster. I really have no idea how it will play out. But before we get to the regular games here, let me say that if Peters really does put together and play the above as the 4th line he will earn my respect for sure win or lose. 4th liners on the 4th line? Young goal scoring prospects on scoring lines? Is this really the year this actually happens finally?

It will be interesting to see who remains after this game and the next round of cuts. Certainly Fleury should be heading back to juniors shortly.

I suspect all of the following waiver exempt AHLers will be sent down at some point after this game:

McGinn, Sandlak, Di Guiseppe, Brown, Woods, Biega, Sutter

I expect Jordan and Rissanen and McIntyre to be sent through waivers to get back to Charlotte

That would leave 24 'healthy' players. LaRose will eventually be released from camp leaving us the following 23:

Tlusty, E.Staal, Semin, Skinner, Nash, Lindholm, Gerbe, Rask, Boychuk,Malone, McClement, Dwyer, Terry

Sekera, Faulk, Hainsey, Gleason, Murphy, Harrison, Liles, Bellemore

Ward and Khodobin

The question becomes will we really keep 23 players on the active roster? At forward Rask is the easiest to send down (still waiver exempt) but Terry seems like an odd man out. On D Murphy COULD go back to Charlotte without waivers, but he seems to have provided an offensive spark in the preseason. I think we are close to set in terms of the top 23 (or 22 or 21 depending on how the front office plays it), barring some unbelievable wow performance tonight from one of the kids.
 
Last edited:
I still think we are going to shock a lot of people this year with how good we end up. I have a feeling Peters is going to wring out more wins than this team on paper seems capable of.

Prediction? I'll give one (we should set up a thread for record predictions that we lock prior to the season starting so everyone can get in on the act):

44-31-7..... 95 points, 3rd in the Metro. Not bold enough? Here is my bonus prediction....this year we will win at least twice as many shootouts as we lose.
 
I still think we are going to shock a lot of people this year with how good we end up. I have a feeling Peters is going to wring out more wins than this team on paper seems capable of.

Prediction? I'll give one (we should set up a thread for record predictions that we lock prior to the season starting so everyone can get in on the act):

44-31-7..... 95 points, 3rd in the Metro. Not bold enough? Here is my bonus prediction....this year we will win at least twice as many shootouts as we lose.

The sun'll come out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow
there'll be sun
Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow till' there's none

When I'm stuck in the day that's grey and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say oh

The sun'll come out tomorrow
So you got to hang on
till' tomorrow, come what may!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow
You're always a day away!
 
I keep hearing a lot of talking heads on NHL Radio say the Canes may be dead last in the East, most certainly the Metro.

It's VERY hard for me to predict anything higher than last in the Metro, and 9th-13th in the East. This is the kind of year, where I can't help but expect the Canes to draft no higher than 4th or 5th with 3 "can't miss" kids in the draft!

I actually like tonight's roster. I prefer to see the prospects play in meaningless games. There's no big mystery as to who the top 7 or 8 forward are. Let the bottom 6 fight it out!
 
I saw the last 8 mi ute. The cames looks little like last years but with more enthusiasm.
They need work on the boards, same as last year, they need to win the 3 step races to the puck, same as last year, and need to anticipate. They are still chasing the puck, not as much but still behind the play.
 
After 2, 2-2. Rask looked good on both goals. Khabby is the only thing hold the score close. The last cbjs goal was a pretty obvious high stick tip.
 
Well, that was an ugly game. Rask has earned himself a job. The rest?
Nothing different from what we've seen the last couple years.
 
6 or 7 cuts tonight. I think Francis dips his hand into a fish bowl and grabs a slip of paper with a number in it.
 
I still think we are going to shock a lot of people this year with how good we end up. I have a feeling Peters is going to wring out more wins than this team on paper seems capable of.

Prediction? I'll give one (we should set up a thread for record predictions that we lock prior to the season starting so everyone can get in on the act):

44-31-7..... 95 points, 3rd in the Metro. Not bold enough? Here is my bonus prediction....this year we will win at least twice as many shootouts as we lose.

I need to start drinking more during the day as well. It really changes your outlook! :)
 
So does Ward fall into the #1 goalie spot by accident? If both guys didn't really distinguish themselves you go with the bigger salary.....right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top