• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen anyone say that Boychuk was claimed, so I assume he cleared? There was a claim today per Bob McKenzie...Columbus claimed Adam Cracknell off of waivers from LA.
 
bit surprised that they let Boullion go in Montreal. I always thought he was pretty underrated and plays a pretty tough game, despite his 'average' size.
 
Interesting comment BK considering yesterday was being hailed as the end of the goon era when the Leafs waived Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren, the Flames dumped Westgarth and the Devils waived Cam Janssen.

The league has gotten too fast for the slow, cement head types that make a living dropping the mitts.

I'm not a big fan of the staged goon fights. And I don't see how many teams can afford to have a useless goon on their roster. But the Canes don't have ANYBODY who can throw the body in a way that makes people keep their heads on a swivel! And they haven't had that big hitter is a while! When the best hits thrown throughout an entire season, were from guys like Murphy, Gerbe, and Dwyer, you've got a cotton candy soft team! The Canes have NO physical threats. There's not one player on that bench who can come onto the ice, and suddenly the other team is aware, and looking over their shoulders. There's ZERO mean streak. There's no physical threat. Ovechkin is three times the physical player, than ANY player on the Canes roster! And that, makes me want to cry!


And don't get me started on the complete lack of unity! How many times in the last few seasons, have we seen a Canes player clobbered, take a headshot, or any other less than clean hit, and the rest of the players simply skate to the bench like they couldn't give a $#!t? That, to me, SCREAMS that something is horribly wrong with this team. I've never played sports at ANY level, even a pickup game, where I didn't feel compelled to at least SAY something to an opponent, if not go after someone, after they cheapshot my team mate. I'd also have the respect to go help or check on my team mate!
 
Last edited:
How many times in the last few seasons, have we seen a Canes player clobbered, take a headshot, or any other less than clean hit, and the rest of the players simply skate to the bench like they couldn't give a $#!t?

Too many, but this is one of the reasons I was very happy we re-signed Hainsey because he seems like the only guy on the roster last year who was willing to stand up for teammates when the situation warrented. He scored major points with me for the two instances I can remember (when Khudobin got run and when Bellemore was run behind his own net another time).
 
bit surprised that they let Boullion go in Montreal. I always thought he was pretty underrated and plays a pretty tough game, despite his 'average' size.

He's gotten really slow and fragile over the last couple of years. They don't need him around as an elder statesman and he's not going to play much so ...
 
Hainsey stood up one time that I recall. Antoine Rousel "ran" Khudobin and Rousel ended up with a bloody face. There are guys looking for work that play a responsible fourth line role and can stand up for guys on the team. Heck, it could be a guy from Charlotte. But for too long the Hurricanes have talked about "playing for each other," but do absolutely nothing- nothing- to make guys think twice about taking a run or a hit. A scrapper would be nice, but I am not even talking about retaliation- just being able to make an opponent look over his shoulder or question whether he wants to go into those "dark places" and run the risk of a staggering check. The Canes don't do that to other teams.
 
Doesn't look like the Canes will dip into the waiver pool, most teams have gotten down to 23 already. What we got is what we got, only 2 days before we set it loose for real.
 
Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Rask-Lindholm
Terry-Nash-Brown
Malone-McClement-Dwyer (practicing but in a non-contact jersey)

Sekera-Faulk
Hainsey-Liles
Gleason-Harrison
Murphy-Bellemore

So the forwards look set as long as Dwyer doesn't have a setback. Not sure what the D will really look like Friday but I suspect that Murphy-Bellemore will be the healthy extras.

I doubt Patrick Brown expected he would be in the opening night lineup playing on the 3rd line with the Canes when he signed that UFA contract out of BC. On paper that all looks pretty ugly, but I still have a feeling this lineup is going to end up better than it seems on paper. I'm betting on Rask and Lindholm finding some sort of Swedish magic and making that line potent offensively.
 
Last edited:
So we open with old line, young line, checking line, energy line:

Tlusty / Staal / Semin (average age = 28)
Gerbe / Rask / Lindholm (average age = 22, and would be 20 with Skinner)
Malone / McClement / Dwyer (assuming Dwyer recovers)
Terry / Nash / Brown (AHL'ers...but at least Brown does shoot right)

Sekera / Faulk
Hainsey / Liles
Harrison / Gleason

Ward / Khudobin

No wonder we're being dismissed so easily.

EDIT: Ha! cmaleski2 beat me to the punch. But I think from a minutes standpoint you're going to see McClement's line more as a third-line checking line than a fourth-line energy line, as originally intended. With Jordan out, McClement's line draws the tough defensive minutes.
 
How many points will it take to finish last? Last year BUF had 52 points for last place. They got about 30% of the possible 164 points. Winning 25% of the points is about 40 points. Can it be done?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top