• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

WHEN IS IT TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE?

Let GSK or Quintiles start pulling back funds due to better entertainment for clients and that would hopefully start to set off bells and whistles. I do note that the majority of those business folks that are making the "investment" videos are not names that I'm that familiar with. Not a knock on those hard working folks of course.
 
I know Dave Tippet is working with the Yotes, but he is still former whaler. That's why I asked. Does he have any ties to the org still?

As for Mike Gillis, say what you will but I'd take his track record prior to this season over JR's anyday, twice on Sunday's. How many division/conference wins have we had in the last 5 years? I mean, it's been 8 seasons (minus one) of same ol same ol. Not advocating for hiring Gillis here, but just saying I wouldn't be so quick to knock the guy if you consider our own GM actually merits getting the sack TIMES TEN, like 5 seasons ago. I would have given JR a reprieve after 09, but then after failing to make the playoff again the following season I would have made a change. 4 seasons later... what has been 'built'? Nothing.
 
I know Dave Tippet is working with the Yotes, but he is still former whaler. That's why I asked. Does he have any ties to the org still?

I doubt it. He was long gone by the time PK bought the team. Since retiring as a player in 94-95, he's been behind the bench somewhere, either in the IHL, an NHL assistant or head coach. He's never been unemployed as a coach either. He had Ulfie on his staff for his first 2 years in Phoenix, and you know how close Ulfie and Francis are, but other than coming to the arena as an opposing coach, I don't think he's had any contact. The only season he hasn't coached since retiring was the lockout year but he was under contract with Dallas.
 
I doubt it. He was long gone by the time PK bought the team. Since retiring as a player in 94-95, he's been behind the bench somewhere, either in the IHL, an NHL assistant or head coach. He's never been unemployed as a coach either. He had Ulfie on his staff for his first 2 years in Phoenix, and you know how close Ulfie and Francis are, but other than coming to the arena as an opposing coach, I don't think he's had any contact. The only season he hasn't coached since retiring was the lockout year but he was under contract with Dallas.

I don't recall is he was here for the Franchise's retirement celebration or did a video congrats, but he did somehow participate. Tippet was with Dallas, so I am guessing it was a video 'atta guy thing.
 
Last night a parent asked me why the canes on the fly line changes are so bad and why the canes gave up[ a goal the other night on a line change and how do they know when to change.

The only answer I could give are kids start learning line changes about squirt level. By peewee level it's pretty ingrained.
When a player hits the nhl it should be so deeply ingrained they can do it in their sleep.
IMHO the canes line changes are so bad for one reason - something that coach kirk did or does.
Anyone got any ideas?
 
Last night a parent asked me why the canes on the fly line changes are so bad and why the canes gave up[ a goal the other night on a line change and how do they know when to change.

The only answer I could give are kids start learning line changes about squirt level. By peewee level it's pretty ingrained.
When a player hits the nhl it should be so deeply ingrained they can do it in their sleep.
IMHO the canes line changes are so bad for one reason - something that coach kirk did or does.
Anyone got any ideas?

I never played, can't skate and don't have a coaching license but I got stuck on the bench for a 14U girls game and a women's college game. I managed to get the D changed without allowing a goal like the Canes gave up the other night. That sequence started because the Canes forwards, for the gazillionth time this season, failed to get the puck deep with the D changing behind them. They didn't even gain the zone, turning it over in the neutral zone.
 
Yeah ... when I clear out all the noise and concentrate on how this Canes teams does the little things, I find us lacking in almost every regard. They've been pretty solid hitting the right guy at the right time breaking out of the zone, but otherwise ... bleh. They routinely screw up line changes especially the defense, they routinely fail to get the puck deep on late shift situations, and their defensive zone coverage often devolves into chasing ... especially centers not named Jordan Staal or Manny Malhotra. A whole heaping lot of this game is about the little things. A crappy team that is very disciplined in taking care of possession can often overcome a more talented team that's loose with the puck. We're a middling team that's loose with the puck and the record reflects that.

Another thing that seems to puzzle casual fans is how this team can look so good against a good team and then suck against a weaker one. Simple. They tighten up the loose crap when they play somebody they respect and get even less focused on the details against a weak foe.

Bottom line ... the more a take a step back and look at this team critically, the less I like Muller's coaching.
 
Lack of concentration and focus. Or in other words ... just going thru the motions ... lollygaggers!!!
 
Well, wouldn't that be a shocker?

Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel 1h
DT: The rumours of Mike Velucci going to Carolina won’t stop. With big changes coming to the Canes, Velucci may get a big-time promotion!
 
Mike Velucci? To someone who doesn't know PK and JR's history, that would look like an extreme long shot...of course all of us know how this front office works. I could totally buy the possibility of Mike Velucci becoming the next head coach of this franchise. (No I don't endorse that move).
 
This...among many other reasons...is why I wait.

Declare yourself, Gale Force. Let's see whatcha got.

And, although totally believable this could indeed happen, IMHO, this is not what this team needs...lest Eric kill yet another.
 
I can't imagine he's taking over as GM. Isn't that already Francis' job?

Velluci to Charlotte/Daniels to Raleigh/Muller back to Nashville? Nightmare scenario!
 
Back
Top