• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

Wondering if we could find a home for Kadri with a team that could use a cheap 2nd line center. (Smokes crackpipe) maybe the rangers part way with Kreider and Chytil for Kadri and Zaitsev. (Puts down bong)

Friedman says other teams are telling that if some team does offersheet Marner and TOR doesn't match, they're terrified of what TOR might do with extra cap space, picks, and a vengeance.

I think there's a weird quirk in the CBA re: offersheets where TOR *can* sign another team's RFA to a max offersheet even though they don't have next year's 1st round pick. Instead they would give up 1st round picks from 2021-2024.

They could essentially keep the 1sts from the lower teams offersheet and use their own later ones to set up a massive bonus heavy offersheet to someone elses RFA
Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Let’s pretend that scenario plays out. Which RFA do we want?

It doesn't really make sense to let Marner walk for $11 only to sign Aho or Point for $11.

McAvoy maybe. Or Werenski. But thats a big risk.

But still its kind of ridiculous. If you are going to throw a Matthews contract at someone why not the guy that led the league in P1/60.

It doesn't really make sense to let Marner walk for $11 only to sign Aho or Point for $11.

McAvoy maybe. Or Werenski. But thats a big risk.
But you wouldnt have to sign Aho to 11 thats the kicker. They would front load the shit out of 8.5 to 9 million dollar deal for Aho and essentially screw the Canes

Aho at the range plus picks > Marner

Some NHL F5 seasons stuff

- Friedman said on his podcast that he's pretty sure Dubas' threat of not matching offer sheets scared Kappy and Johnsson into signing their deals
- CJ was on with Friedman and put the "Marner Panic Scale" at a 3 (of 10) and says that there's no offer sheet coming. Is concerned that there may be some issues in the room if a team mate ends up traded because of Marner's salary demands though.
- "Someone" told Friedman that Zaitsev is a "July 5th" type of a deal, because you always want to see how free agency (Myers, etc) shakes loose first
- The other RFA in recent memory to do the whole "visit with other teams" thing was Evander Kane. That meeting was with Vancouver, his home town.
- Islanders are expected to be in on both Panarin and Bobrovsky, but both are expected to pass on the Islanders and go to Florida.
- When asked, Panarin gave a "0%" chance that he would be going to Vancouver...****ing lol
- Duchene will "100%" sign in Nashville according to CJ
- CJ predicts Pavelski to Chicago. Pavelski expected to visit Tampa and Dallas this week
- Leafs have interest in Zucker
- Minny has interest in Anders Lee
- A pile of teams have interest in both Zucker and Spurgeon from Minn.
- Marleau thinks he can play beyond this season. Hope someone breaks it to him that he didn't really play last season.
- Blackhawks acquired De Haan & Saarela for Forsling and Anton Forsberg. Canes might be using the cap space on a different move.
- Canucks and Hawks almost flipped picks at the draft (3rd to 10th) but Canucks wouldn't take Seabrook as part of the deal
- Flyers sign Sanheim 2 x 3.25
- Blackhawks trying to get Panarin back, also plan on meeting with Anders Lee
- Boeser and the Canucks are "not close" in contract talks
- Canes are looking at Mike Smith to "solve" their goaltending problems.
- Canucks might walk away from arbitration ruling of Ben Hutton, apparently their max number is 4.4
- 13 teams are said to be chasing John Gilmour, a UFA defender who scored 54 points (20 goals) in the AHL last season. 26 yrs old LHD
- Stars are apparently out on bringing Frodo back

Last edited:
But you wouldnt have to sign Aho to 11 thats the kicker. They would front load the shit out of 8.5 to 9 million dollar deal for Aho and essentially screw the Canes

Aho at the range plus picks > Marner

You honestly think the Canes don't match that and take 2 1sts? I don't see any reasonable possibility of that.

You have to offer a contract that won't be matched.

The Canes have money, they just saved us from Marleau by paying $4 mill for a 1st.

The Bolts happily match Point for $8.5-9.

But still its kind of ridiculous. If you are going to throw a Matthews contract at someone why not the guy that led the league in P1/60.

Because position, and scarcity at that position, matters a lot to setting market value. Also, paying Mitch like that when the numbers suggest Tavares was driving the bus, seems a bit silly.

Because position, and scarcity at that position, matters a lot to setting market value. Also, paying Mitch like that when the numbers suggest Tavares was driving the bus, seems a bit silly.

But thats a nonsenical argument when we are already paying $27 million for 3 centers. The Leafs need wingers more than centers. Why pay a premium for a guy that isn't a centre here because he is somewhere else? "He's a worse player, but in theory he's a centre." That doesn't help the Leafs.

You honestly think the Canes don't match that and take 2 1sts? I don't see any reasonable possibility of that.

You have to offer a contract that won't be matched.

The Canes have money, they just saved us from Marleau by paying $4 mill for a 1st.

The Bolts happily match Point for $8.5-9.
Its not the cap hit that would kill them its how you structure the deal.

A front loaded contract like JTs for example they cant do as they dont have the financial power to do it. Most teams don't

They are bleeding money as it is.

Its not the cap hit that would kill them its how you structure the deal.

A front loaded contract like JTs for example they cant do as they dont have the financial power to do it. Most teams don't

They are bleeding money as it is.

They literally just bought a late first for $4 million though. Dundon is one of the richest owners in the league. You think he'd buy a late first for $4 mill, but lose his best player over another few mill because of the contract structre? $8.5-9 mill is a steal for Aho.

All this talk is nonsense really. Its not happening. There will be no offersheets that aren't matched, never mind double revenge offersheets.

What's your drop dead number on Marner? Say Montreal offers him 12, you match?

I don't see how letting Marner walk for picks makes you a better team. In fact, I know it doesn't. Thats a huge setback to a team with legit cup hopes.

All this Freidman nonsense of the Leafs being able to steal players for less is just that. Nonsense. I have no problem overpaying one of the best players in the league. Those are the only guys you can overpay.

Luckily I also know we won't be paying Marner $12 mill though.

What team is going to be stupid enough to give him such a crazy offer? As stupid is Bergy is, he’s not that stupid, or maybe he is but he’s not going to get that money.

As good as Mitch is, he’ll need to accept he’s not mcdavid soon and take a reasonable number.

They literally just bought a late first for $4 million though. Dundon is one of the richest owners in the league. You think he'd buy a late first for $4 mill, but lose his best player over another few mill because of the contract structre? $8.5-9 mill is a steal for Aho.
Multiple reports of them only willing to go 6x8 so far so as rich as he is, he is apparently a cheap bastard too

Last edited:
I don't see how letting Marner walk for picks makes you a better team. In fact, I know it doesn't. Thats a huge setback to a team with legit cup hopes.

All this Freidman nonsense of the Leafs being able to steal players for less is just that. Nonsense. I have no problem overpaying one of the best players in the league. Those are the only guys you can overpay.

Luckily I also know we won't be paying Marner $12 mill though.

So what's your drop dead number? When do you walk and take the picks?

Back