• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Babs vs Keefe

Yeah, the Babs firing/Keefe hiring is beginning to look like the "there is no spoon" moment for this team. They just look next level scary right now. Kinda what we all expected with an offence that stacked.

EveryAnotherKilldeer-max-1mb.gif

Babs is finished.

I had mentioned before how I believe that Babcock will get another shot .... I was wrong.
Why would any team not take a page out of the leafs book and find a young coach for a fraction of the cost, and allow both parties to grow together?

I asked on a other post that if keefe gets the leafs back near the top of the standing, is he winning the Adam's trophy?

I think it was babe who mentioned about babcock being and acting spiteful and making the choices he did with the personnel and deployment as an act of spite to dubas ....

Babcock is done imho .... I wonder what shanny thinks of Babcock and his last 2 years here.

Babs will get his shot elsewhere and soon. Some team will want an old school warden, one who is out for revenge and has something to prove to the world. And he’ll want to be in our division. I’d guess he’s busy becoming proficient in French....

Babs will get his shot elsewhere and soon. Some team will want an old school warden, one who is out for revenge and has something to prove to the world. And he’ll want to be in our division. I’d guess he’s busy becoming proficient in French....
Issue with Babs is $ even more than than the stories that have come out. They'll be no 50 million bidding war for his services again. hat team will offer 6 million per to make up for the 18 he'll get the net 3 year?

I think Babs has already been paid most of his money up front. Any new deal would basically see him net the majority of the new pay.

Nah, some of the pundits have been asking GM's about Babcock and they've all been saying they can't see him being hired; at least they would never hire Babcock themselves. It's going to be a while before he's back, and the league is much better for it overall.

Nah, some of the pundits have been asking GM's about Babcock and they've all been saying they can't see him being hired; at least they would never hire Babcock themselves. It's going to be a while before he's back, and the league is much better for it overall.

Well! Somebody obviously doesn’t like grinding fourth line hockey.

Sounds like some of you are cheering for babs not to get a shot. I want him hired tomorrow. Don't want Toronto to be the destination where careers come to die. If we can kill Bab's career we can kill anyone's...or so the narrative would be.

Sounds like some of you are cheering for babs not to get a shot. I want him hired tomorrow. Don't want Toronto to be the destination where careers come to die. If we can kill Bab's career we can kill anyone's...or so the narrative would be.

if Keefe leads the Leafs to multiple 110+ point seasons and deep playoff runs, that won't be the narrative at all. It will be that asshole Mike is the new Keenan. Look at how he treated poor little Mitchy during his rookie season and for more Babcock analysis we turn to TSN's new insider, Mike Commodore.

The speed that the knives came out after the firing kind of suggests that it will be a cold day in hell before a media narrative that is sympathetic to Mike Babcock catches on in Toronto.

I think he'll get another shot.

I know quite a few people who I usually find to be pretty thoughtful who genuinely believe that our struggles to begin the year were products of injuries/schedule/more Hutch starts and that we would've turned it around with this schedule even without the coaching change which I personally find a bit puzzling since the numbers are so across-the-board significantly better.

I think he'll get another shot.

I know quite a few people who I usually find to be pretty thoughtful who genuinely believe that our struggles to begin the year were products of injuries/schedule/more Hutch starts and that we would've turned it around with this schedule even without the coaching change which I personally find a bit puzzling since the numbers are so across-the-board significantly better.

Most fans are 1) Pretty blind to analytics, to the point of either pure ignorance or if they do have some grasp of them, are doubtful towards their validity and 2) More susceptible to the prevailing media narratives of the moment

The creeping media narrative right now is that we've run the table on a weak schedule. I got into it with Mirtle over boiling team quality down to simple 5 on 5 full season adjusted xGF% because it suits his purpose (goaltending, shooting skill and special teams need not apply) to drive this narrative yesterday. It's fucking dumb. Even smart fans read stuff like that and adopt it as their new opinion.

So even the fans that understand the numbers enough to see the drastic change in them from Babcock to Keefe, are susceptible to easy (and often incomplete or completely inaccurate) analysis of those numbers by lazy journalists. The fans that don't understand the numbers are tuning into Overdrive and listening about how we're not tough enough, can't play defence, etc, etc. The entire hockey discourse in Toronto is poisonous and where the Athletic looked like it was going to be a breath of fresh air, it's turning into Sportsnet in a dinner jacket with a monocle.

The argument presented to me was that Babcock had them playing at a 105 point pace with Freddie in net so we can reasonably assume that had we kept Babcock we would've played at a 105 point pace or higher for the last 15 games where Freddie received 13/15 starts.

I don't really agree. I don't think the numbers zeke posted point at all to the team playing super well under Babcock and only skewered by Hutch. We weren't playing offensively anywhere close to what we're capable of and our PK was still 4th worst in the league in only Freddie starts.

Back