• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

So looks like the deal to share spiderman is falling apart.

Seems like Sony owns the rights to Spidey and they loan him out to the MCU. Meaning that homecoming and far from home made Sony a shit ton of money with disney and marvel not so much.

Disney appearantly wants all future profits from Sony lead spidey movies split 50/50, to which Sony said hell no.

I think they have one more Spidey MCU film on the contract, but after that Sony might drag him out of the MCU.

Poor Tom Holland.

He'll be back. When there's money to be had, they'll find a way.
Unless Sony has used the MCU to build the profile of Spiderman up and then they go off and make the tom hardy venom and Tom Holland spiderman film they probably have been dying to do

Unless Sony has used the MCU to build the profile of Spiderman up and then they go off and make the tom hardy venom and Tom Holland spiderman film they probably have been dying to do

Which if history is any guide, will look horrible, be shit and lead to a complete reboot to both franchises after 1-2 more shit movies each.

I could 100% see Sony snatch defeat from the jaws of victory here. All they need to do is sit back and let Marvel do the work for them. They get merch, licensing and 50% of the profits on the movies. Literally the easiest money, 100's of millions of dollars, for doing nothing but hiring hasbro or whoever to design your toys and licensing out for a new vertigo enducing video game every 2-3 years.

It's amazing how quickly they started feeling themselves after Venom, which was pure mediocrity at best saved by Tom Hardy. It would have been Thomas Jane Punisher bad if not for Hardy.

Which if history is any guide, will look horrible, be shit and lead to a complete reboot to both franchises after 1-2 more shit movies each.

I could 100% see Sony snatch defeat from the jaws of victory here. All they need to do is sit back and let Marvel do the work for them. They get merch, licensing and 50% of the profits on the movies. Literally the easiest money, 100's of millions of dollars, for doing nothing but hiring hasbro or whoever to design your toys and licensing out for a new vertigo enducing video game every 2-3 years.

It's amazing how quickly they started feeling themselves after Venom, which was pure mediocrity at best saved by Tom Hardy. It would have been Thomas Jane Punisher bad if not for Hardy.
I get what you're saying, but to note, marvel has all the merch rights to Spiderman.

Venom was bad, really bad, really awkward and cringe, but more than Tom hardy, China saved that movie. The Chinese have no taste in movies, any big name movie grosses about 200-400 million.

But its amazing Sony don't see the light here, Spiderman in the MCU, and they get 50 percent of the profit for doing sweet fuck all, or that take Spsynergy. d Venom(all they have really) and what as it tanks again while they take all the risk.

The only thing I think is that Sony just bought insomniac games so they will try to do the video game movie synergy as opposed to the spiderman MCU synergy. Which is still amazingly stupid because movies and video games have much different development cycles with a good game needing 3-4 years and movies half that.

Absolutely bananas.

I mean, Disney were also being pretty greedy here, my guess is basically trying to take all the upside with none of the downside. So I'm not sure we should lay it all on Sony here.

But yeah, you've already established this universe, would really suck to have it all split and Sony having to even soft-reboot the franchise again. Apparently there's still 2 more Tom Holland Spiderman flicks left, but the real question is what if any Marvel properties are they allowed to re-use? I mean, it's not too hard to have Happy and May break up off-screen and only off-handedly reference things, but a lot of the current gear is Stark-referenced, so how much of that can come forward or not?

Isn't it Sony getting all of the upside with no downside? Disney is putting up a ton of money to make the movies.

Isn't it Sony getting all of the upside with no downside? Disney is putting up a ton of money to make the movies.

From what I understand, the current deal has DIsney put in a little bit of money, and they get the first 5% back on anything earned. DIsney wants to change it to a 50/50 split, so yeah, I guess it's actually Disney who basically wants to take on more responsibility, but have more creative control and also reap bigger gains. So yeah, I guess I had it backwards - basically more like Disney wants to buy the rights without actually outright buying the rights.

I mean, Disney were also being pretty greedy here, my guess is basically trying to take all the upside with none of the downside. So I'm not sure we should lay it all on Sony here.

But yeah, you've already established this universe, would really suck to have it all split and Sony having to even soft-reboot the franchise again. Apparently there's still 2 more Tom Holland Spiderman flicks left, but the real question is what if any Marvel properties are they allowed to re-use? I mean, it's not too hard to have Happy and May break up off-screen and only off-handedly reference things, but a lot of the current gear is Stark-referenced, so how much of that can come forward or not?

Literally none of it. If there's no deal, even "off handed" references to anything that happened in the MCU, including shit that occurred in the previous two movies, would be met with legal fuckery.

strangers things season 3 is bad

i think i finally made it to the last episode but turned it off halfway through - finish it later

Negotiations had been under way for some months between Sony and Disney over the future of the property, with Disney demanding future films be financed evenly between the two studios and Feige act as consultant producer.
However Sony wanted to stick to existing terms, which entitled Marvel to 5% of first-dollar gross and all merchandising revenue, with the rest going to Sony. The exact financing ratio is unknown.

how i understand it

they WERE getting that deal but now disney wants them to take on a bunch of risk / finance the films

I didn't hate Stranger things 3. It's an ok time waster. Did make me wonder at the end though, if there will be a 4 and if the end scene meant what I think it did. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't been there yet.

Recently watched 'Driven', the story of John DeLorean. I can sum up my review in two words. Sh*t sandw*ch.

I didn't hate Stranger things 3. It's an ok time waster. Did make me wonder at the end though, if there will be a 4 and if the end scene meant what I think it did. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't been there yet.

Didn't realize until recently that the "new girl" played by Maya Hawke is the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Therman.

The first two seasons were probably better and the writing formula they keep using might be getting a bit stale, but I still really enjoyed it. And yeah, I know what you're probably thinking about that end scene:

I mean, maybe it's too obvious, but you'd have to think "the American" is Hopper, right? You don't see him die on-screen, and when the Americans storm the base at the end, all the Russians have disappeared. So it seems they had a way out.

Didn't realize until recently that the "new girl" played by Maya Hawke is the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Therman.

I honestly went and looked her up on IMDB a couple of episodes into the season, because she looked and sounded so familiar and I couldn't figure out where I knew her from. As soon as I saw who her parents were, it clicked immediately.

She looks so much like her mother, but even moreso she has pretty much the exact same voice and mannerisms.

Literally none of it. If there's no deal, even "off handed" references to anything that happened in the MCU, including shit that occurred in the previous two movies, would be met with legal fuckery.
Yeah, it would be more like Tom Holland entering Tom Hardy's world than Tom Hardy entering Tom Hollands world.

If you're Tom Holland you have to be concerned about this. I think he signed on to being one of many stars of the MCU not the go to guy in Sony. Yet he's signed for two more spidey films.

Only way I see this working is if they throw him into some multiverse where nothing in the MCU ever happened.

Back