• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Post Corona - What Will Change?

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older but I really appreciate waking up in a city and getting breakfast at a good local spot as everyone's just opening up for the day.

I've done the guided tour vacations like contiki style when I was younger, cruises, resorts but I still always kinda feel I'm being herded along for the exact same experience as everyone else. 12 hours per stop is too rushed.
 
The Italians (and most of Europe) do the “dosage” right. They drink throughout the day, but never without food (meal or snack).

Even at the end of dinner, you’re offered espresso to help restore some measure of alertness.
When I go to Italy I typically stay with family so while I do have my wine with every meal it's not quite the same. But man my trip to Spain/Portugal last year was fucking flawless. They do things right. Every time I do Europe I gain greater appreciation for wine but it just never feels the same having it here for me. I guess there's just something about having a nice bottle of house wine at a hole in the wall restaurant that does it for me.
 
I have relatives in Northern Italy in a region where the house wine is Prosecco. That blew my mind the first time.
 
Thus far there have been enough ventilators and I’m grateful for that. Hopefully it continues.
 
I still think there's a lot of states that are just at the beginning of all of this and taking it way less seriously than New York did that are going to be in big trouble.

should be good for Trump’s ratings tho
 
In the short term, marriage rate will plummet, divorce rate will soar. Dating will be impacted even further by making people even more reluctant to go out with strangers, get intimate, etc.

Commercial office space will continue becoming less desired. Business are getting a look at just how much an office matters, how productive workers can be remotely, and they’ll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Similarly retail gets a full look at how online sales do if there’s no store alternative. Maybe sales weren’t impacted all that much and further hasten the crumbling of retail.

This all probably means that being a landlord might not be a very good business and that unless you’re an owner of apartment buildings, other real estate holdings may be more of a noose around your neck than anything else.

Food and delivery industry probably makes it mandatory to use gloves, wear masks in the kitchen, etc. It’ll be a tough sell to convince people to return to restaurants and so they’ll have to offer these precautionary measures and then won’t be able to roll them back. Also restaurants will only be able to fill up 50% of their capacity because they’ll need to remove half their tables.

A lot of businesses probably don’t come back once this is over. Bankruptcies rise. Businesses don’t hire back everyone they had pre-virus. Crime probably goes up. Mental health of the general population is severely affected so psychiatrists likely do great business after this.

Not sure what happens with live sporting events. People can’t go from being afraid to breathe outside to again being packed in with 20,000 other potential walking carriers. Masks required in large crowds then, for sports, concerts, events, theatres?

I think the events industry gets hammered. No one will give a shit to go to boring business conferences and fly to some other place to get there. The end of large weddings, at least for some time?

Uninviting touching becomes a major no no. Shaking hands gone. Hugs after personal meetings like dinner with friends gone. Touching the arm or shoulder of a co worker to get their attention, especially between the sexes, not going to be appreciated. Mandatory stay at home policies for sick workers.

Online everything. Internet up, internet meetings up, food deliveries, etc. Basically everything people are getting accustomed to or turned into routine during this period, likely remain as their go to.

Of course there will be people who are exceptions to everything, but this is the general direction of the masses, I think. I also believe ingenuity will be on the rise and a slew of new companies that help shape the new world are born out of this. Would love to be able to figure out who the next Amazon and Google are going to be.

Oh and even further economic disparity that no one is going to address. Forget basic income and all that jazz, not when trillions have been printed in an effort to keep people where they were. The government will for sure prop up the masses to the extent unemployment is unacceptably high for a while after this, but it will all be temporary. I could envision more socialized health and a larger role of government in the privatized health industry.

The Chinese virus was a doozy.

I think salons will be making swift business when this is over(ish). Think of all the hair and manicure/pedicures that need to be done before some portion of the population will be scene in public gatherings. Vanity will NEVER die.
 
I think salons will be making swift business when this is over(ish). Think of all the hair and manicure/pedicures that need to be done before some portion of the population will be scene in public gatherings. Vanity will NEVER die.
Also restaurants, especially with outdoor seating. People will want to get out after this.
 
I think salons will be making swift business when this is over(ish). Think of all the hair and manicure/pedicures that need to be done before some portion of the population will be scene in public gatherings. Vanity will NEVER die.

yeah, but probably won’t make up for lost revenue. It’s not like I’m going to get multiple haircuts on the same day when it’s all over.

I imagine some spots who were barely turning a profit, will not come back.

same thing with restos, I’m not going to be 2x as hungry. Curious to see if all my favourite spots will re-appear. It’s such a low margin biz, any place that over leveraged might be done for.
 
I imagine some spots who were barely turning a profit, will not cone back
Aka every restaurant ever. Very few industries are fucked like the restaurant industry is. Very curious to see how that shakes up.
 
The restaurant industry will return. It may not be the current owners of these restaurants doing the returning though.
 
Yet even Cuomo said they have enough to go around.

Are these doctors and nurses in these hospitals lying?

New York may have secured enough ventilators for the next while but particular shortages in hospitals during delays in distribution of such ventilators or doctors deciding to not put a patient on a ventilator because they are running short is still happening. And that is not even counting the obvious shortage of masks, gowns, goggles/faceshields, etc.
 
Guaranteed trump is going to campaign on bringing the economy back and he’ll say he did it before and he’s the one to do it again. You know it’s coming.

If the economy isn't "back" by the time of the election...good luck with that.
 
He’ll try to convince them that he’s the only one that can do it. You’ll see. Whether he’s successful or not is the question.
 
Mail in ballots have too much opportunity for fraud. The chain of custody is an issue. What they should do is extend the voting hours and create time slots to come in and vote based on your zip code and use social distancing for the booths and lines. It can be done but they need to start preparing for these issues now. It’ll take months to figure out the logistics.

They may be banking on a vaccine but the rollout would take months as it is to inoculate everyone.
 
Back
Top