• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Chantel Thread

I really thought she would have done some form of Mea Culpa on her first show back from suspension. Guess not.
 
I would have been surprised if she did that. I still think that the majority of the folks watching from home had little idea why she wasn't on the air. I know her transgression was out there on the web and mentioned in the N&O, but a lot of fans wouldn't have cared enough to hunt down the reason why she wasn't on the early broadcasts. Better to punish her as privately as possible, even if she might have made a positive statement by admitting her mistake.
 
I really thought she would have done some form of Mea Culpa on her first show back from suspension. Guess not.

Of course not... would HATE to admit she did anything wrong here... FFS! Perhaps some of you may think the suspension is enough... but if she isn't doing some sort of TV ad campaign that encourages people not to drink and drive or calling cabs or designated drivers... then at the VERY LEAST a freakin Mea Culpa on her first show back would have been appropriate...

Nope... let's just pretend it didn't happen shall we?
 
Not enough hockey for you boys that Chantel's personal life and professional embarrassment continues to need over 120 posts? She screwed up. Her employer suspended her and she still has a myriad of legal hurdles to jump. I am all for giving it a rest.
 
While you may be all for giving it a rest... I was all for a public mea culpa. Anything wrong with saying as much? Discussion threads aren't for discussions? What the hell was this thread started for then?
 
In these situations players will normally issue an apology or some statement. "Sorry, won't do it again, etc."

However I don't think that's normally the case with media . I think perhaps the idea is that media people are not really that important to most fans.
 
Comes down to character, IMHO. Plain and simple. Some do the right thing regardless how painful. Others try to sweep it under the rug and hope no one notices.
 
In these situations players will normally issue an apology or some statement. "Sorry, won't do it again, etc."

However I don't think that's normally the case with media . I think perhaps the idea is that media people are not really that important to most fans.

Right.

On top of what Slapshots already pointed out, I see no reason why FSC would want her to use their broadcast to address it anyway.

I'm no fan of her work, but I imagine it was pretty hard as a young 20-something to get in front of the camera again. So credit to her for that.
 
Comes down to character, IMHO. Plain and simple. Some do the right thing regardless how painful. Others try to sweep it under the rug and hope no one notices.

I realize there are people that may not read the paper, go to ch.com, or use twitter, but her mugshot photo was IN the paper (and online), they issued a press release and she hadn't been on broadcasts yet this season. I don't know if that's anywhere close to "sweeping it under the rug".

But as I said, maybe FSC had no interest in be part of providing a public platform for her personal issue anyway.
 
Completely understand why Canes and FSC don't want to revisit the incident at all. She could use one of the personal broadcasting, er social media, platforms, I guess to do what Wapner and JFG are looking for, which would be "off-air". Of course that invites replies, both positive and negative, which she or her employer may not want either. Here's her only reference on Twitter, after the Oct 3-Nov 1 absence:

Chantel McCabe @NHLChantel · Nov 1
Thank you for the kind words and support and thanks to my new (right) wing man for cracking me up before the show!

Chantel McCabe @NHLChantel · Nov 1
Great to be back, great to get a win, happy for Ward and his first shutout since March 27,2012!

which isn't an apology by any means, but she's really not enough of a public figure to me to worry about it; I'm not a fan either way. Like Slapshots said, just because she's back on the air doesn't mean it's over for her -- legal, insurance, employer scrutiny, etc... So as long as lesson is learned, which apology or not won't indicate, I'm done with it.
 
Completely understand why Canes and FSC don't want to revisit the incident at all. She could use one of the personal broadcasting, er social media, platforms, I guess to do what Wapner and JFG are looking for, which would be "off-air". Of course that invites replies, both positive and negative, which she or her employer may not want either. Here's her only reference on Twitter, after the Oct 3-Nov 1 absence:



which isn't an apology by any means, but she's really not enough of a public figure to me to worry about it; I'm not a fan either way. Like Slapshots said, just because she's back on the air doesn't mean it's over for her -- legal, insurance, employer scrutiny, etc... So as long as lesson is learned, which apology or not won't indicate, I'm done with it.

Yup. And I have noticed some really nasty comments directed at her as well.

At this point, it's a personal/legal issue. Would it be great if she used her community service to do outreach or go to High Schools? Sure -- and maybe she will, but that's her deal.

Broadcast wise -- I like the addition of another person at the pre-game desk, they have a nice rapport (admittedly, I only saw the first one) and it seems like they are leaning on Tripp to do some intermission player's interviews, so from where I stand -- things are better than last season imo.
 
She never took hold in this area--and while I didn't care for her, I certainly thought she took a lot of flak as well and have wondered if that would have happened if she were male.
 
She never took hold in this area--and while I didn't care for her, I certainly thought she took a lot of flak as well and have wondered if that would have happened if she were male.

Yes, IMO. She took a lot of flak because she didn't bring anything to the broadcast that Bob Harwood hadn't brought the year before. She was in over her head and it showed.
 
all the other noise aside, i just don't think she was very good. By the end of the season she was still asking the same Y/N questions that she asked early in her tenure here. On the optimistic side, maybe hockey is just not her niche.
 
Wondering if Shane Willis will be considered for that role. They seem to be expanding his prescence as the years progress here but I don't know how comfortable he would be with the full time Chantel gig. Certainly there is someone else out there that knows enough about NHL hockey and is comfortable enough talking to pros and asking more than some simple questions. There are plenty of players on this team that are thoughtful enough that a couple of well timed questions are all it takes to get some quick meaningful conversation and insight out of them. And someone capable of delivering the scores between periods without sounding nervous and completely clueless would be great.
 
Back
Top