• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The New Division

Melnyk and Murray have both previously stated that they gave Alfie and his agent the "blank cheque" treatment.

If Alfie feels he was slighted then he's too sensitive.

Too much is being made of a 41 year old hockey player here.

Letting him "walk" was long, long overdue.

He's not worth the 2 year $12 Million he wanted.

He's not worth the potential $5.5 he is going to make in Detroit.

His "leadership" was a freaking joke. I don't understand how any fan can call Alfredsson a good leader. Good leaders don't give up on a series that is still happening. Truth or not, the Captain doesn't say things like "Probably not"

Miscast from the beginning. Good player, maybe good guy, but not a leader.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe that Melnyk has taken a significant financial hit in the past few years. Most of his businesses seem to be struggling to say the least, plus he just got ass raped in divorce court.

If he wants to run the team a little tighter, that's his right. Now if we start losing guys like Karlsson over money, then it's time to push the panic button. It's not panic time when you let a 41 year old disaster of a Captain walk over a few bucks.

The team is arguably stronger without him and Silfverberg, and with MacArthur and Ryan.

Plus, we get the culture of "probably not" away from our young players.

All Alfredsson has done is validate every negative thing every rival fan ever said about him. How can you argue any of it when you have "probably not, and turning your back on your legacy still fresh on your plate.

“I’ve been here so long that I felt if I won the Cup, I’d want to do it here,” said Alfredsson who holds the franchise records for goals, assists and points. “That’s the relationship I have with the city and the fans.”

May 21, 2013.
 
That's an awesome post, Johnny.

Honestly, I was saying for years that the Sens needed to get rid of Alfredsson. He was a major component -- hell, probably THE component - of the losing attitude and lack of accountability in Ottawa for all of those years.

Terrible leader. The Sens as a whole are much better with guys like Karlsson and Spezza in positions of leadership (and down the road guys like Ceci, Puempel, and Noesen) IMO.
 
images
 
Sens screw alfie over for years by paying him way under market rate thanks to Alfie taking a cutrate deal last time he re-upped, and then cheap out on their franchise player not because they don't have caproom, but because of a self-imposed cap. Pathetic.
 
Sens screw alfie over for years by paying him way under market rate thanks to Alfie taking a cutrate deal last time he re-upped, and then cheap out on their franchise player not because they don't have caproom, but because of a self-imposed cap. Pathetic.
Blank cheque.
 
His "leadership" was a freaking joke. I don't understand how any fan can call Alfredsson a good leader. Good leaders don't give up on a series that is still happening. Truth or not, the Captain doesn't say things like "Probably not"

I'm not sure I remember anyone saying this kind of thing at the time but it's nice to hear a Sens fan actually admit that this isn't the kind of thing a Captain should really say.
 
Alfie let them tack on the $1m year last year to lower the caphit, and they wouldn't pay him back. typical gay sens move.
 
Alfie wasn't even expected to play that final year of his contract. Then he decides he wants back for two more years + back pay.

No thanks.
 
If that was actually true, then why would he have left? Doesn't something not smell right about that "blank cheque" story with Alfredsson now a Wing?
I dunno, maybe he didn't feel "cherished" enough. Maybe Melnyk and Murray didn't do enough to make him feel wanted.

But there was a standing offer with his agent before UFA period that they would sign Alfie for whatever he deemed he is worth. Alfie didn't get back to them and then told them that he was going to Detroit.
 
Most recent comments. The blank cheque was in his presser following the Alfie issue/Ryan trade. Feel free to look it up.

Of course, you miss this quote. Essentially proving Alfie wanted back pay as a 41 year old.

“I offered $4.5 million. I said, ‘Both of us hopefully are flexible and we will talk.’ (Barry) said he would get back to me. I just took for granted that would happen and it never happened. I never heard back. I have not J.P. since the $7 milliion (demand in New York) Saturday meeting we had. It was $12 million for two years and $7 million for one. That’s disappointing.”
 
screwed over the heart and soul of their franchise, after he sacrificed bigtime money over his entire career for them.

so weak.
 
Most recent comments. The blank cheque was in his presser following the Alfie issue/Ryan trade. Feel free to look it up.

Of course, you miss this quote. Essentially proving Alfie wanted back pay as a 41 year old.

I didn't miss anything. They offered him $4.5 million. They didn't offer him a blank cheque. His most recent comments clarified exactly what was offered.
 
Back
Top