• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Chad LaRose just punched his ticket to Charlotte.

About midway through the 2nd, my buddy turned and asked "where do you think LaRose is about right now....High Point"?

I thought it was funny.

Forslund seemed to think that the coach was really impressed with him though.


Bright side, this team has a good core of talented young players. Youth is being served. Staal was wearing the cloak of invisibility tonight. Ward was never tested. The Louse looked like they are warming up for a run at a lotto pick.
 
Last edited:
Nah, I thought it was a marginal call and one of the few physical efforts put out by the canes.


Not hardly. Leaving your feet to elbow a guy in the head is usually a penalty, unless your name is Ovechkin. The call was correct.
 
By the way, anyone at the game notice the change is direction the in house entertainment that resulted in Ron the ref being canned? I'm sure it must be pretty different.

Ron was at the game tonight and dropped by my section (328), where he has always been booed lustily. I talked to him for a few minutes before he left, and he said not being on the ice "really sucks".
 
Last edited:
I definitely enjoyed watching the game tonight (at least the first two periods). Lot's of players looked good, and it was good to see Semin moving well. Staal, not so much. I don't think Murphy helped himself at all tonight, which is disappointing because I keep hoping that he can turn into a solid defenseman. Overall, the puck movement was very good and the PP looked like a real NHL team.
 
Well at least we looked good with mostly a full regular cast on the ice. I'm pretty excited to get this season started to see what we really have and how they will really play when the games start to count.

I'm giving Ward a +.5, didn't sound like he was challenged too much. I can't see Khudobin doing enough in the final exhibition game to become the obvious go to #1 guy so looks like we will enter the season with neither goalie being the clear #1 that Peters stated he prefers. Looks like that battle will continue into the regular season.
 
I've agreed with your goalie scoring to date, cmaleski, but I might be inclined to give a full game to Cam on this one.

That five-minute major penalty defense in the first period was as much team as it was him, but that was a long sustained period of Defcon 1 activity, even though the shots that made it through were few.

And, after a first period of good constant work, like Cam admits he likes, the second period tailed off to 7 shots and the third period to a mere 3 shots.

It's those 3-shot periods and yet no goals that are tough on Cam and he got through it. He even talked about the mental side of that game afterward being more important than the physical.

Only goal scored was a wide open shot from the slot on a power play that hit its target. So he really earned the 0.950 SV% on this one.

I'd be inclined to give him the full point. And judging from the amount of air Peters keeps pumping into his tires, I think Opening Night is his start to lose, with Anton now needing a shutout to claim it for his own.
 
Patrick Brown was sent down to Charlotte today, so they're at 24 in camp. Peters said that LaRose will play today as will Terry and Liles. Khudobin in net.
 
The hit on Skinner looked serious. He was wonky and dazed skating off. Another concussion? If we did not have rotten luck, we'd have no luck. We have no depth to effectively manage injuries. Wish this team would get a collective chip on their shoulders- that may the only way we make it though the season. Of note, one of the NFL network talking heads thinks JStaal may miss the entire season.
 
Jstaal, I've heard 6 months for that type injury. But, the canes will try to bring him back early.
Skinner, we didn't someone go after the guy that hit him?

But, look at the positives! The caps only have 2 goals and the canes did get three shots off. And it looked like the caps only controlled the puck about 70-75% of the time. Khabbys trade value is going down the toilet.

Staal the elder did try to throw his weight around toward the end but ovie brought that to a quick closure.

It's gonna be a long season.
 
Jstaal, I've heard 6 months for that type injury. But, the canes will try to bring him back early.
Skinner, we didn't someone go after the guy that hit him?

But, look at the positives! The caps only have 2 goals and the canes did get three shots off. And it looked like the caps only controlled the puck about 70-75% of the time. Khabbys trade value is going down the toilet.

Staal the elder did try to throw his weight around toward the end but ovie brought that to a quick closure.

It's gonna be a long season.

At this rate of losing elusive key pieces, one would think we have just vaulted into sure fire contention of landing a good draft pick. We're going to need it at this rate we'll have lost our entire 'core' by next draft.

I don't know if we should be thinking firesale, a revised strategy sort of thing. Reset.
 
Good lord, are the canes bad.
5 on three and they are still fumbling around. Actually 5 on 3 almost makes it even although the caps have a slight edge.

They are out skated and out hustled, as usual.

I'll go back to my before training camp thing of having the canes do two sessions a day, a skill/system and a power skating session.
 
Chad Larose has discovered the Evil CMac Ring of Power that causes all obstacles to his ascent to the NHL to incur timely injuries.
 
So, what's the word on Lindolm's injury? Skinner surely has a concussion. If they lose Skinner, Jordan and Lindholm, you might as well unload E Staal, Ward, etc for whatever you can get and tank hard. They don't stand a chance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top