• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some quotes
NHL network - if this is what the canes fan(s) see(s) he/she/they are not gonna be happy
Peters - this was totally unacceptable - duh, welcome to the canes coach!
Tlusty - this was a lesson I how not to play hockey
 
I know it is just preseason, BUT these Canes sure look a lot like last years Canes. Did that flashy powerpoint already wear thin with Eric Staal and the other members of the "old" core? I almost feel sorry for Peters for inheriting this Wizard of Oz bunch. Can't wait to see Jack or Connor next preseason!!
 
This is shaping up to be a disasterous season. I didn't follow this game today, but it sounds as if there is no pride in this team. I am still hoping Peters can do something, but am not optimistic. The Isles will eat us for lunch at the way things are going.

I don't think I've ever felt this bad about going into a new season as I do now.
 
Well Regarding Skinner I expect a concussion. The Vids of that incident to me don't look good at all no matter what the coach stated.

In regards to the game? I didn't get to see it but based on the score in the second that I did see I missed nothing.
Honestly I don't care that it may not have been a terribad blow. Someone should have at least mussed with Nishkanen. Maybe a hard late check or SOMETHING Anything? Please?

So anyway this is looking like a great year for Papa Johns to have their annual deal since the Canes aren't looking too hot.

I regards to the team? Same old same old...
 
I watched the game, from the 12 minute mark of the first till the bitter end.
To say it was bad is an under statement. No one popped the guy that hit skinner nor did anyone jump in when Ovies hit staal from behind in the skirmish behind the caps net.
In summary, no heart, no muscle, no brain, no skating, no nothing.

Welcome to last year.
 
Only real surprise ... that is wasn't Faulk that ended up with a big injury.

Still stuck on gloom and doom ...
 
Back to the game ... Wow, just Wow did the Canes look totally disorganized. Did any Cane finish a check? Do they even know how to play the body. They all played scared after Skinner went down. No heart, no guts. Where was that 4th line toughness that was supposedly brought in? Same as last year, Varsity against the JV. Time to blow it up and start over Ronnie.

And the league really needs to look at banning the hard plastic armor this guys wear from the shoulders down the arm. Brass knuckles to the chin should be outlawed.
 
I understand some of you have personal reasons for getting extra offended by her actions but that really isn't a reason to ruin someone's career. You don't even know what happened. Maybe she wasn't "hammered". It doesn't take much to hit the illegal limit mark of .08.
 
Back to the game ... Wow, just Wow did the Canes look totally disorganized. Did any Cane finish a check? Do they even know how to play the body. They all played scared after Skinner went down. No heart, no guts. Where was that 4th line toughness that was supposedly brought in? Same as last year, Varsity against the JV. Time to blow it up and start over Ronnie.

And the league really needs to look at banning the hard plastic armor this guys wear from the shoulders down the arm. Brass knuckles to the chin should be outlawed.

How on earth did this team get tougher? And who exactly did they bring in that brings guts and heart? It's essentially the same bunch as last year with a new coach and GM...this team will get pushed around and battered like no one's business again this year. I would prefer the likes of Brenden Woods and Brock McGinn to at the very least address the physical brand of hockey that at least one line could play.
 
Last edited:
Boy and Rosie are gone. Boy back to the cherkers, I think he has to pass waivers, and Rosie has been released from his pto.
 
Boy and Rosie are gone. Boy back to the cherkers, I think he has to pass waivers, and Rosie has been released from his pto.

I am pretty sure they will both be safe. Honestly the Canes should keep an eye on the waiver wire as other teams make final roster moves. There are far deeper teams out there than this group. Probably can get an upgrade somewhere.
 
Terry kept and Boychuk sent down? I wouldn't have expected that going into camp.

That leaves us with only 22 players on the current roster, including a dinged up Skinner. Those 22 include 2 extra Dmen and NO extra forwards. So if a forward is unable to go on Friday night (Dwyer? Skinner?) we would need to a make a roster move to be able to ice 12 forwards. At this point I'm not quite sure what the opening night lines will be. Maybe this?:

Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash-Terry?
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

One thing to note, if Boychuk clears waivers (which I would put at 75% likely), the Canes will be able to bring him up and down after that as needed without waivers again until he hits any of those thresholds we spent time talking about last year (10 non-emergency recall games played, 30 non-emergency recall days on roster, 10 emergency recall games played).

It will be interesting if any other team in the league is willing to give Boychuk an NHL shot here, looks like he blew his opportunity with the Canes (at least to start the season).
 
The canes don't need much, maybe a goalie, a couple d men, two right wings and a few centers and if skinner is out then a left wing or maybe a couple of them.
 
I am pretty sure they will both be safe. Honestly the Canes should keep an eye on the waiver wire as other teams make final roster moves. There are far deeper teams out there than this group. Probably can get an upgrade somewhere.

Yep, Francis is trolling...the cuts are starting and a few teams will try and sneak guys through waivers. I have a feeling the Canes will grab something from the waiver wire dumpster in the next day or two.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top