• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goalie battle update using my own personal unscientific methods, Khabby gets a full -1 for a full game with a save% under .850

Updating the scores:

Khudobin 1.5 games -.5 points
Ward 1.5 games - .5 points

Anton had a chance to put this one away but didn't deliver. Once again, I don't care about the lineup, quality of shots, the fact that one of the goals maybe shouldn't have been allowed, I'm only considering the raw numbers. 2 more pre season games left and so far neither goalie has seized the job.
 
Anton had a chance to put this one away but didn't deliver. Once again, I don't care about the lineup, quality of shots, the fact that one of the goals maybe shouldn't have been allowed, I'm only considering the raw numbers. 2 more pre season games left and so far neither goalie has seized the job.

Oddly enough those are the only things I care about. Either way, seems like it will come down to the last two ex games.
 
Going to quote my own post here...

It will be interesting to see who remains after this game and the next round of cuts. Certainly Fleury should be heading back to juniors shortly.

I suspect all of the following waiver exempt AHLers will be sent down at some point after this game:

McGinn, Sandlak, Di Guiseppe, Brown, Woods, Biega, Sutter

I expect Jordan and Rissanen and McIntyre to be sent through waivers to get back to Charlotte

That would leave 24 'healthy' players. LaRose will eventually be released from camp leaving us the following 23:

All of those cuts above were announced today EXCEPT for Patrick Brown. That leaves us with 25 healthy players remaining in camp. Ronnie has stated he expects Rask to make the team per Chip. Interesting that Patrick Brown remains in camp, he is capable of playing center but has yet to play a pro game that counts.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, Brown is really the only surprise there. Ronnie said yesterday that the last two ex games would be shakeouts for the regular season so there was always going to be a big cut down either today or tomorrow. I assume Brown is insurance in case one of the other centers gets dinged up in these two games. I assume he'll go to Charlotte next week if nobody gets hurt or flops hard.

Rask has more than earned a shot IMO.
 
I still think we are going to shock a lot of people this year with how good we end up. I have a feeling Peters is going to wring out more wins than this team on paper seems capable of.

Prediction? I'll give one (we should set up a thread for record predictions that we lock prior to the season starting so everyone can get in on the act):

44-31-7..... 95 points, 3rd in the Metro. Not bold enough? Here is my bonus prediction....this year we will win at least twice as many shootouts as we lose.

Weed? Booze? A mixture of both???

CMal, I usually am on the same page with most of your analysis, this my friend made me me spit coffee everywhere this morning.

Last in the Metro...top 5 bottom feeders overall in the NHL this season, somehow the Canes manage to miss out on the top 3 gems in the 2015 draft!
 
Agreed on Rask, he's going to be in the opening night lineup for sure, probably centering Gerbe and Boychuk on line 3 barring injury to anyone else. That leaves Brown and Terry (LaRose will be released from camp after the final exhibition game). Injuries could still change things, but it wouldn't make sense to keep Brown as an extra, the guy needs to play pro games. Terry could be kept around so we have 13 forwards with a scratch in the early going.
 
Last edited:
Weed? Booze? A mixture of both???

CMal, I usually am on the same page with most of your analysis, this my friend made me me spit coffee everywhere this morning.

:drink

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it. Canes shock the pundits (and everyone else this year). Just got a feeling all of the doom and gloom is overblown this time.
 
:drink

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it. Canes shock the pundits (and everyone else this year). Just got a feeling all of the doom and gloom is overblown this time.

Well, it's not like me to be on the overblown side of the hype meter, but I'm gonna stick with the gloom and doom for now. It keeps me warm at night
 
Interesting day for Drayson Bowman in Montreal, he survived the latest round of cuts and was held out of practice to negotiate a contract. An hour or two later he was released by Montreal from his PTO...I guess contract negotiations did not go so well!
 
Interesting day for Drayson Bowman in Montreal, he survived the latest round of cuts and was held out of practice to negotiate a contract. An hour or two later he was released by Montreal from his PTO...I guess contract negotiations did not go so well!
Oh man that's a bad day.
 
Way to screw it up, kid. Take the lowball and run. You'll never see this kind of money again.
 
Interesting day for Drayson Bowman in Montreal, he survived the latest round of cuts and was held out of practice to negotiate a contract. An hour or two later he was released by Montreal from his PTO...I guess contract negotiations did not go so well!

He probably smugly wanted a one way deal and they offered a two-way......for a guy that has done a lot of nothing in the NHL, he always came across to me as overvaluing what he delivered.
 
He will find a job somewhere, he's good enough to be a 23rd guy on someone's NHL roster. He might already have a better offer to play overseas that would make a 2 way deal with a likely minor league assignment not worth his while.
 
He will find a job somewhere, he's good enough to be a 23rd guy on someone's NHL roster. He might already have a better offer to play overseas that would make a 2 way deal with a likely minor league assignment not worth his while.

But maybe not a 23rd guy with a 1-way contract.

I'm betting you're right about the European deal, but geez, how much better an offer can it be.... he's marginal at best.
 
He probably smugly wanted a one way deal and they offered a two-way......for a guy that has done a lot of nothing in the NHL, he always came across to me as overvaluing what he delivered.

I bet that's it...Habs wanted a 2 way deal, he wanted a one way...see ya.
 
Per chip, Rask was working with Skinner and Lindholm today. Semin left the ice early (reasons not yet known).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top